Nursing Programs & Scopes
About Nursing Programs & Scopes
The rapidly changing health need of people and the advancement of technology have made the nursing profession more challenging and demanding. The need of well-educated/trained nurses is rising in the market, making it one of the most sought-after professions among students. Since past few years, nursing education has been a heartthrob of most of the Nepalese female students.
Nowadays, after passing S.E.E., a lot of girls seem to opt nursing studies. Nursing is one of the most popular program in Nepal which has career opportunities in Nepal as well as in abroad. Nursing program aims to equip students with academic and practical skills needed to deliver qualitative health care at the national and global level. It is a blend of coursework, clinical experience, simulation and skill practice. The program emphasis on producing nurses who are able to make a sound decision and judgment independently.
The scope of the nursing profession is growing with each passing days. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree opens door to a number of job options in diverse sectors, such as armed forces, schools, voluntary organizations, universities, health service, clinics, private and public hospitals and healthcare providers. Graduates can opt to work as children’s nurse, health visitor, high-intensity therapist, midwife, physician associate, mental health nurse, and adult nurse. They even have the option to work as lecturer, counselor, social worker and health service manager.
Not just in Nepal, the scope of nursing is equally growing in foreign countries. Students with this degree have great career opportunities in ‘A’ listed countries like USA, Australia and Canada. Getting visa to go to these countries won’t be an issue if you apply for the nursing program. Moreover, in Australia, it’s very easy for nursing degree holders to apply for permanent residency. In India also, students can find lucrative job opportunities, professional nurses can get paid up to Rs 234,753 per year, whereas, in ‘A’ listed countries, they can earn up to $45,000 to 65,000 per year, if hired by a reputed hospital, nursing homes or clinics. In Nepal, they can earn up to 32,000 per month.
Afer S.E.E., students pursue PCL Nursing which can be completed within three years. It is a practical based course equivalent to diploma course. PCL Nursing program is offered by private as well as Government Nursing Colleges. IOM, NAMS, BPKIHS, CTEVT, and KU offers PCL Nursing program in Nepal. Other boards may be available in future.
PCL Nursing affiliated to Tribhuvan University
The entrance examination of PCL Nursing affiliated by Tribhuvan University occurs in the month of Bhadra. The question pattern for the entrance examination of PCL Nursing carries 45 marks for science subject, 25 marks for English subject and 10 marks for math subject. The selection criteria are entirely based on the entrance examination.
PCL Nursing affiliated to CTEVT
The entrance examination of PCL Nursing affiliated by CTEVT occurs in the month of Bhadra whereas the scholarship entrance occurs in the month of Shrawan. The question pattern for the entrance examination of PCL Nursing carries 50 marks for each subject: Science, English, and Math.
PCL Nursing affiliated to BPKIHS
BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences always avails 40 seats for admission among which 16 seats are open seats, 1 seat for Hill District seats, 2 seats for Dalit seats, 1 seat for staff and 5 seats for full tuition seats. The entrance examination occurs in the month of Shrawan.
Bachelor of Nursing (BN)
Students completing PCL Nursing and having 2 years clinical practice can apply for Bachelor of Nursing (BN) program. The examination date for BN program falls on Ashwin. Ministry of Education (MOE) regulates Scholarship examination for BN program in Poush/ Magh. Students completing PCL Nursing and 2 years clinical practice are eligible for this examination.
BN-affiliated to Tribhuvan University
There are 6 colleges in Nepal offering BN program under the affiliation of Tribhuvan University. Each college avails 40 seats for the students.
BN-affiliated to NAMS
NAMS offers 22 seats in the open category, 6 seats for Nepal Government Employee and 2 seats for Bir Hospital Employee.
BN-affiliated to KU
Kathmandu University offers BN program in 4 colleges under its affiliation and each college avails 40 seats. The entrance examination takes place in January usually.
BN-affiliated to PU
Purbanchal University offers BN program in 20 colleges in Nepal under its affiliation. The entrance examination takes place in Ashwin usually.
B. Sc. Nursing
B. Sc. Nursing is a four-year program that can be pursued after completing +2 level educations with biology as a major subject. This program is offered in Nepal under the affiliation of Tribhuvan University, Pokhara University, Purbanchal University and Kathmandu University. This bachelor level program was initiated in 2005 AD with the aim of preparing academically sound graduate nurses having the ability to function as a care provider, manager, teacher and researcher in nursing areas. This program is based on annual system and the course duration is of 48 months.
Admission opens on around August or September for B. Sc. Nursing program in Nepal and classes starts in November. All the Nursing colleges of various Universities of Nepal offer 20 seats for B. Sc. Nursing.
Masters in Nursing (MN)
After obtaining Bachelors degree in Nursing, students can pursue Masters in Nursing (MN) which is offered in various colleges under the affiliation of Tribhuvan University, Pokhara University, Purbanchal University and Kathmandu University. It is a two years program and total seats available for this program every year is 5. IOM offers 3 specialization areas in Master in Nursing and they are Women Health & Development, Adult Nursing, and Child Health Nursing.
Popular Nursing Scholarships around the globe
University of South Wales Academic Achievement Scholarship for International Students in UK
2017 Co-Financed PhD Scholarships in Nursing Research, Denmark
School of Nursing and Midwifery International PhD Scholarships in Australia
H.J Heinz Company Foundation Fellowship for Developing Countries Students in USA
Merit-Based Global Health Scholarship Program in USA
BSc Professional Nursing Studies Scholarship at Swansea University in UK
List of popular nursing colleges in Nepal
1. Nursing colleges in Nepal
2. Asian College of Advance Studies, Satdobato, Lalitpur
3. B.P Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal
4. Chitwan Medical College, Chitwan, Nepal
5. College of Medical Sciences, Chitwan, Nepal
6. Everest College of Nursing, Imadol, Lalitpur
7. HOPE International College, Satdobato, Lalitpur
8. Institute of Medicine (IOM), Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
9. Kathmandu Medical College, Sinamangal, Kathmandu
10. LA College, Hattiban, Lalitpur
11. Manipal College of Medical Sciences, Pokhara, Nepal
12. Manmohan Memorial Institute of Health Sciences, Nakkhu, Lalitpur
13. National Academy for Medical Sciences, Old Baneshwor, Kathmandu
14. National Medical College, Birgunj, Nepal
15. Nepal Institute of Health Sciences, BoudhaTushal, Kathmandu
16. Nobel College, Sinamangal, Kathmandu
17. Nobel Medical College, Biratnagar, Morang
18. Norvic Institute of Nursing Education, Maharajganj, Kathmandu
19. Novel Academy, New Road, Pokhara
20. Om Health Campus, Chabahil, Kathmandu
21. Sanjeevani Nursing College, Butwal, Nepal
22. SAAN Institute of Nursing, Baluwatar, Kathmandu
23. Scheer College of Nursing, Banepa, Kavre
24. Shree Medical and Technical College, Chitwan, Nepal
25. Universal College of Medical Sciences, Bhairahawa, Nepal
26. Yeti Health Science Academy, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
27. Shankarapur Academy, Jorpati, Kathmandu
28. Vinayak College of Health Science, Battisputali, Kathmandu
29. Lumbini Medical College, Tansen, Palpa
30. Lalitpur Medical College, Sanepa, Kathmandu
31. Lord Buddha Educational Academy, Nepalgunj Nursing Campus, Kohalpur, Banke
32. BP Koirala Institute of Health Science, Dharan, Nepal
33. Nepalgunj Medical College, BP Chowk, Nepalgunj
34. Chakrabarti Habi Education Academy, Tinkune, Subidhanagar
35. Om Health Campus, Chabahil, Kathmandu
36. Mayadevi Technical Institute, Dhawaha, Butwal
37. National Vision Nursing Campus, New Baneshwor, Kathmandu
38. Nepalese Army Institute of Health Sciences (NAIHS) College of Nursing, Mahankalsthan, Kathmandu
39. Birat Health College and Research Centre, Biratnagar, Morang
40. Gunaraj Pathak Memorial Nursing Campus, Baluwatar, Kathmandu
41. Hams Nursing College, Buddhanagar, Kathmandu