PhD in Biotechnology (Kathmandu University)
PhD in Biotechnology is a 3- 5 years program of Kathmandu University, School of Science and Engineering. Department of Biotechnology is the authentic body for conducting this program. Biotechnology is that branch of science which uses technology to understand and examine the living beings at its molecular level, explore the genetic codes that govern biological process and manipulate it for the benefit of living beings. Biotechnology is not the mere subject but the integration of different scientific fields. With the rapid development in this field, new concepts such as bioinformatics, proteomics, microarrays, etc have become the area of research. PhD in biotechnology is one of the highest and prestigious degrees where the students analyze the different aspects of the biotechnology from the research perspective. PhD degree needs lot of dedication, hard work and ability to think out box capacity. Apart from depth academic knowledge students should be well acquainted with scientific equipments and statistical tools necessary for effective research work.
- It takes around Rs. 6, 30,000 to complete the PhD dissertation.
- KU, Department of Biotechnology conducts the PhD degree program.
The main objectives of PhD in Biotechnology are as follows:
- To train and prepare students in such a way that they develop qualities in them to be able to commence and complete a unique and innovative research work.
- To help students develop research capacity in carrying various research work in public and private sector and also in national and international level for multinational companies and reputed international organizations.
- To produce highly capable researchers, innovators, tutors and consultants in the field of biotechnology for the economic transformation of Nepal.
- To train and prepare researchers of the outstanding quality so that they can work both as a team and independently in wide range of core areas of this field.
- The candidates should have 17 years of formal education in the relevant field.
- The candidates should have M.Sc. degree with 50% marks in aggregate or a CGPA of 3/ 4 or B rank in grades.
- Students with 16 years of formal education are also eligible provided by fulfilling all the requirement of the department of biotechnology.
- Application is first collected and then eligible candidates are called for Interview/test.
- The interview/test/presentation is aimed at testing student’s capacity.
- At first 15 credits of courses as temporary registration should be fulfilled as prescribed by research team.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
Biotechnology is one of the most rapidly growing fields of science and technology. Inventions and developments in the field of biotechnology have been associated with life of people and improving their standard of living. The PhD graduates can get jobs in the industries related to chemicals, pharmaceuticals, food and beverages and plant and animal biotechnology. There are other options such as working in forensics, disease and diagnostic therapy, education and environmental protection bodies, etc. The graduates can also work in core research positions in different national and international organizations working in the field of biotechnology. There are various nongovernmental organizations working in the field of agriculture, plants and animals, where PhD graduates can get the senior level jobs. One can also develop the careers in the academic sectors as a teachers and professors teaching students in colleges and universities. Moreover, students also have another option of going abroad and working there as the biotechnologist.