Bachelor of Pharmacy (Kathmandu University)
Kathmandu University offers Bachelor of Pharmacy degree for students who wants to develop knowledge of how drugs are developed and how medications affect the human body. Students will qualify with the ability to gain entry to a profession that focuses on improving the quality of people's lives. This degree requires generally 4 years to 5 years complete. This degree will face the major topics including chemical, physical, pharmaceutical and pharmacological properties of medicines and the application of these in the practice of pharmacy. Practical experience in variety of clinical settings including hospital and community pharmacy is emphasised in the Bachelor of Pharmacy, particularly in the third and fourth years. This degree is designed for those students interested in going on to Doctor of Pharmacy programs, as well as those interested in related careers in the drug. Also it is designed for students to acquire sufficient understanding of the principles and techniques of the pharmacy. It will offer students with a coordinated understanding, comprehensive knowledge and capable in all disciplines of pharmacy.
- To create pharmacists with sound knowledge in science, technology, health and social sciences, which underpin the pharmacy profession.
- To develop clinical, industrial and business skills necessary to successfully operate as pharmacist in private and public hospitals, pharmaceutical clinics, etc.
- To learn and make stronger the existing pharmacy practices in the private and public sector organizations through continuing education and training program.
- To assist pharmaceutical and related organizations in solving their problems by providing consultancy services.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for applying Bachelor of Pharmacy:
- Must have passed +2/intermediate level with major course of physics, mathematics/biology and chemistry.
- Must appear in the entrance examination and then in selection interview.
Only those candidates will be admitted who are selected after interview.
Following documents should be submitted along with the application form:
- Copy of mark sheet.
- Copy of citizenship.
- Character certificates.
Course of Study
- Calculus and Algebra
- General Physics I
- General Chemistry
- General Biology
- Computer Foundation
- Engineering Project
- Engineering Drawing I
- Communication Skills I
- Statistics and Probability
- General Physics II
- Computer Programming
- Engineering Project
- Engineering Drawing II
- Communication Skills II
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Foundation Course in Pharmacy
- Statistical Analysis
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology Lab
- Human Physiology and Pathophysiology I
- Pharmacognosy I
- Pharmacognosy Lab
- Reaction Mechanism and Stereochemistry
- Quantitative Analysis I
- Quantitative Analysis Lab I
- Biochemistry Laboratory
- Human Physiology and Pathophysiology II
- Human Physiology & Pathophysiology Lab
- Pharmacognosy II
- Pharmacognosy Lab
- Inorganic Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Inorganic Pharmaceutical Chemistry Lab
- Organic Chemistry
- Quantitative Analysis II
- Quantitative Analysis Lab II
- Physical Pharmacy
- Physical Pharmacy Lab
- Pharmacology & Toxicology I
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry of Natural Products
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry Lab
- Instrumental Analysis
- Instrumental Analysis Laboratory
- Pharmacology and Toxicology II
- Pharmacology and Toxicology Lab
- Biological Pharmacy
- Biological Pharmacy Lab
- Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Medicinal Chemistry Lab
- Business Management
- Pharmacy Practice I
- Hospital Pharmacy
- Pharmacy practice & Hospital Pharmacy Lab
- Industrial Pharmacy I
- Industrial Pharmacy Lab
- Quality Assurance and GMP
- Quality Assurance Lab
- Entrepreneurship development
- Pharmacy Practice II
- Clinical Pharmacy
- Pharmacy practice & Clinical Pharmacy Lab
- Industrial Pharmacy II
- Industrial Pharmacy and Pharmceutical Biotechnology Lab
- Forensic Pharmacy
- Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- Elective 1- Pharmaceutical Care
- Elective 2- Cosmetology
- Elective 3- Social and Behavioural Pharmacy
- Elective 4- Pharmacoeconomics
- Elective 5-Recent Advances in Pharmacology
- Elective 6- Chronopharmaceutics
- Elective 7- Herbal Formulation
- Elective 8- Complementary Medicines
- Project Work
Scope and Career Prospects
As Bachelor of Pharmacy is a job oriented course it has a wide range of scope throughout the globe. With the rapid increment in the number of hospitals and healthcare centers, the demand of pharmacist is certainly raising. An individual with this degree can find jobs in private as well as government organizations including hospitals and clinics, chemist shops, research bodies & labs, medical shop chains etc. Efficient and trained pharmacist makes good money. As per reports, in United States an annual salary of a Pharmacist is around $105,000.
Since we are talking about a job oriented course, it's obvious that finding a job is never difficult for the Bachelor of Pharmacy degree holder. As this education deals with medicines and its maintenance students with this can work as
- Clinical research
- Drug therapist
- Drug inspector
- Pharmaceutical marketing and sales
- Drug coordinators at hospitals
- Chemical/Drug technician
- Pharmacists in hospital
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.