Bachelor of Technology in Environmental Engineering (Kathmandu University)
Kathmandu University has been offering Bachelor of Technology in Environmental Engineering degree, since 2005. This degree generally focuses on the primary understanding of the various environmental issues and their reduction through environmental friendly and appropriate technologies. Additionally, this degree intends to provide further skills and knowledge that graduates need in order to work on environmental issues.
B. Tech in Environmental Engineering is an interdisciplinary academic program that includes courses like basic sciences, socioeconomic & legal aspects and applied science along with other specialized courses and elective subjects. Students are expected to complete 150 credit hours of full study.
To successfully complete a B. Tech in Environmental Engineering, a student needs to acquire at least 2.0 Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA). Students with 'F' in any subjects won't be able to graduate. If a student could not acquire 2.0 CGPA in each subject within seven years, they have to re-start the degree program from the initial level.
Upon the completion of the program, graduates are expected to exhibit the following:
- An understanding of the various effects of engineering technology and its solutions in a global context.
- Capability to work efficiently as a leader or member on a technical team.
- Capability to recognize, analyze and resolve engineering technology related issues.
- An ability to adapt to ever-changing technologies and continue learning.
- Capability to select and apply the skills, knowledge, modern tools and techniques to engineering technology activities.
- An ability to fulfill ethical and professional responsibility.
- Applicant should have passed intermediate level.
- Applicant must have secured minimum of 50% marks and should have completed Higher Secondary Level Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics.
- Applicant should take the entrance exam followed by personal interview.
While applying for the admission, the applicant must submit the following documents:
- Verified copy of academic certificates.
- Verified copy of citizenship certificate off passport.
- Character certificates given by the institution last attended.
- Official documents that show the marks in Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics or Biology.
Course of Study
- Introduction to Environ-mental Engineering
- General Chemistry
- Info. System Technology
- Engineering Drawing I
- Engg. Project Preparation
- Communication Skills I
- Calculus and Linear Algebra
- Mechanics & Optics
- Statistics and Probability
- Electricity and Magnetism
- Computer Programming
- Engineering Project
- Engineering Drawing II
- Communication Skills II
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Introd. to Environmental Science
- Engineering chemistry
- Environmental chemistry
- Practical and project – I
- Human Ecology and Sociology
- Practical and project – I
- Natural resource Mgmt.
- Differential equation and complex variable
- Ecological Principles
- Principles of Biological and Chemical Engineering
- Quantitative Analysis II
- Numerical Methods
- Applied civil engineering
- Environmental Pollution
- Environmental Thermodynamics
- Practical and Project II
- Quantitative analysis Practical II
- Environmental Economics
- Environmental Geology & Geomorphology
- Climatology & Meteorology
- Energy and Environment
- Instrumental Analysis
- Practical and project III
- Fluid Mechanics
- Instrumental Analysis Lab
- Pollution monitoring and control
- Environmental policy, law & sustainable development planning
- Hydrology & Water Resources
- Heat Transfer
- Industrial Pollution and Control
- GIS and Remote Sensing
- Practical and Project IV
- Waste Management I (municipal)
- Environmental Biotechnology
- Water & Waste Water management
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Practical & project V
- Project Work
- Waste management II (Toxic/Hazardous)
- Entrepreneurship development
Scope and Career Prospects
Upon completion of B. Tech Environment Engineering, an individual can make career both in private and public sector. Talking about the private sectors, grads can find jobs in food processing industries, mines, textile mills, refiners, water treatment industries, fertilizers plants and distilleries. In the public sector, they can find work in urban development, forest department, water resources, industries and agriculture. B. Tech Environmental Engineering degree holder can work as a journalist or teacher as well. They can find jobs in both state and central population control boards. This degree holder can serve as:
- Natural Sciences Managers
- Environmental Scientist and Specialists
- Environmental Engineering Technicians
- Civil Engineers
- Chemical Engineers