M.Ed. Math (Kathmandu University)
M.Ed. education is a two year, four semester program of Kathmandu University. This program was launched in 2006 to produce efficient teachers, trainers, tutors, and researcher in the field of mathematics. The M.Ed. math program is of 60 credit hours. The course has been categorized as core courses, concentration courses, elective courses, and practical courses. The core courses are of 6 credit hours. The concentration courses are of 39 credit hours which is again subdivided into foundation courses (24Cr) and Professional courses (15 Cr). There are six credits allocated for elective courses. Out of six electives subject of 3 credit hours each, students can choose any two of them. The elective courses available for students are Probability and Operations Research, Multi variable Calculus, Functional Analysis, Fractal Geometry, Recent Paradigms of Mathematics Learning, Historical Development of Mathematical ideas, Ethnomathematics. And, at last there is a practical course of 9 credit hours which consists of compulsory internship project and thesis work/ research project.
List of colleges:
Kathmandu University School of Education, Hattiban, Lalitpur is providing this course.
The total fee for 2 year Master program is Rs.1,35,000.
The main objectives of M.Ed. Math of KU are as follows:
- To produce educational best who can add to the development of Mathematics education and consequently help in social transformation.
- To produce capable students having sound knowledge of the subject matter and pedagogy and have capacity to integrate both to make the teaching learning activities very effective.
- To provide students the latest principles and methodology, teaching packages, appropriate curricula, textbooks and materials for effective teaching in math.
- To help students undertake research on mathematics education and education related social issues and improving own research knowledge and skills.
Requirements For enrollment to two-year M Ed program:
- B. Ed in Mathematics or PGDE in mathematics or BA in mathematics or B. Sc in Physical and mathematical sciences or any equivalent degree* with minimum of 50% or 2.5/4 in aggregate will be eligible candidates.
- Students having a BA or B. Sc will have to take two extra 3- credit mathematics education courses as specified by School of Education.
Internationally, graduates of the following areas are eligible to study mathematics education.
- Computer Science
- Computing with mathematics minor
- Computer and Electronics engineering programs
- Students have to appear in entrance exam and pass the exam.
- The students will be then selected as per the merit list.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
There is rarely any field where there is no use of mathematics and it becomes a merit for students from any faculty having sound knowledge of mathematics. So, mathematics is a very important subject. And the M. Ed. Graduates pursuing this subject can get job from primary level to tertiary level, colleges to universities. Besides this, there are different government vacancies, where graduates have very high chance of doing good as they have strong background of mathematics. If SLC statistics is anything to go by, then we can see most of the students fail in mathematics, so country needs large number of efficient math teachers who can make student succeed in mathematics. There is large number of N/INGO's working in the field of education where graduates can work. Mathematics as a subject has a huge potential for career growth in developed countries. Graduates can get lucrative jobs in different colleges and universities abroad. Moreover, research field is also available for interested students.