Masters of Philosophy in Development Studies (Kathmandu University)
Master of Philosophy in Development Studies is a one and half year, 3 semester course of Kathmandu University, School of Education. This program was started in KU from 2005. The total course consists of 36 credit hours. Out of the total 36 credit hours, core course consists of 12 credit hours, concentration course consists of 15 credit hours, foundation course consists of 3 credit hours and the dissertation consists of 6 credit hours. In the core courses there are two optional subjects: advanced qualitative research methods and advanced quantitative research methods, out of these two, students have to choose any one of them. Foundation course is designed only for those who have non educational background.
In the core courses, Research Methods in Education and Social Science, Statistical Methods in Education and Social Science Research, Advanced Qualitative Research Methods Advanced Quantitative Research Methods, Writing for Professionals and Seminar: Issues in Education. Similarly, in the concentration courses there are Sociology of Education, Program Monitoring and Evaluation, Economics of Education, Theory and Practice in Education and Development, and Diversity Education of 3 credit hours each. MPhil in development studies is multi-dimensional program that prepare students to discuss decisively the development agendas, understand its inter-relationship with other aspects of society and advocate for the policy level program for the development at glocal level.
List of colleges:
KU, School of Education offers this course.
The total cost for studying this program is Rs. 2,50,000.
The main objectives of the course are as follows:
- To make students well acquainted with the latest trends and practices about the development nationally and internationally and engage in academic and professional works.
- To make students competent in planning, designing and conducting research with highly academic standards and provide them knowledge regarding the various statistical tools.
- To make students capable of taking centre stage for leading and managing the development programs both in private and public sector.
- To make students capable of understanding the challenges and opportunities and develop proper framework for the development of Nepal.
The students should pass Masters Degree in any discipline with score of CGPA 3.0 or at least 50% aggregate score in Master level. Entrance exam:
- The written entrance exam takes place.
- Interview also takes place after that
- Based on the entrance exam, the merit list is published and students are enrolled for the course.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
Development studies has the lot of scope in the development strived country like Nepal. A development study is very important for formulating plans and policies as per the need of the country. The M-Phil in development is the research based study where the students find out different modalities for the development. The graduates can work as the researcher in various organizations working in the field of development studies. There are various NGO/ INGO's where students can work and earn handsome salary in different positions as per their qualifications. There are various private and public sectors where the aspirants can vie and get jobs as per their academic and professional qualification. Not only this, the careers related to teachers, lectures and trainers are also open for the graduates in different universities and colleges. There are many other very inspiring and exciting career opportunities for the students of development studies like journalism, writing, editing, advising, freelancer, etc. Apart from this, the door to foreign countries is also open for the talented graduates.
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.