Undergraduate in BA Buddhist Studies (Kathmandu University)
BA in Buddhist Studies is a four year program of Kathmandu University, Center for Buddhist studies. This program of KU is taught in Rangjung Yeshe Institute (RYI). The RYI has worked in close partnership with KU to manage the KU Centre for Buddhist Studies since 2001. The Bachelor program for Buddhist studies is mainly divided into two portions: 1) Core knowledge Buddhism 2) Language Study. In the undergraduate program, students get to study courses associated with values and beliefs of Buddhism and languages like Sanskrit, Nepali, Tibetan, etc .However, students can choose philosophy over language. BA program help student to understand the deeper knowledge of the India-Tibet Buddhist practices and its development from the history and also Tibetan approach to Buddhist philosophical study. Not only in philosophy, students can harness language ability depending on his dedication and the emphasis. Students can also be familiar in modern Tibetan and Nepali language and script, able to read classical Tibetan and Sanskrit, and follow teachings directly in Tibetan if not gain some ideas or skills related to it.
List of colleges:
KU, Center for Buddhist study in collaboration with RYI runs this program.
The cost per credit unit for studying BA Buddhist Studies in KU is NRS. 1560
The main objectives of BA in Buddhist Studies are as follows:
- To familiarize students with Buddhist philosophy and foster qualities of wisdom and compassion through study of it.
- To develop efficient students who can deliver modern and traditional Buddhist philosophy through teaching, translation, publication, research and practice.
- To make students realize the importance of divinity and spiritual practice and pursuit in the day to day life and changing the world through it.
- To preserve and protect the Buddha’s principle and use his glorious teachings for the benefit of humanity and living beings at large.
The students who have completed Higher Secondary School (10+2) from any stream are eligible to apply for the program.
- The applicants not having English as native language and BA degree from an English-medium university should give TOEFL and get score of at least 550 Or
- Score of 80 on the iBT, or IELTS score of at least 6.0 and no score lower than 5.0 on any one band.
- English Language Proficiency Exam (ELPE) is necessary for any candidate living in Nepal and not having satisfactory TOEFL or IELTS result and also not having 10+2 diploma or bachelor's degree from an English-speaking country.
- If the score is satisfactory, the applicant will be admitted to BA program.
- If the score is average, the applicant should pass Academic English and Advanced Study Methods Course
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
In today's showy world people are guided by physical pursuit and lust. People have left over divinity and spirituality. As a result, people are in illusion and darkness. People are exploited and misguided by this glamorous world, materialistic lifestyle, other people and by themselves as well. So, in order to walk in the path of virtue and righteousness, Buddhist studies is very vital and integral. Undergraduates can become teachers, gurus, guides and preacher in this field. Moreover, mediation has become one of the major attractions for the people all around the world; students can also find their careers in this field. They can be very good guides for helping in meditation. Apart from this, institutions and organizations working in the field of human psychology and mental health can hire these graduates. The prospects of students doing well in their career and study through Buddhist study lies beyond the country to international level.