Bachelor of Public Health (Pokhara University)
Bachelor of Public Health also known as BPH is a four year course program of Pokhara University, under the management of School of Health and Allied Sciences. It is a specialization oriented bachelor degree spreading over 8 semesters, designed to produce a professional public health specialist or health workers to deliver health care services to the people all over the nation.
BPH is basically the mixture of subjects like Physiology, Anatomy, Microbiology, Immunology, Pathology and Anthropology dealing with special topics of Child Health, Environmental Health, Occupational Health and Reproductive Health.
This degree provides students with strong theoretical knowledge and practical skills in health care, preparing them to pursue their careers in different healthcare sectors such as public health environmental health, health administration, epidemiology, nutritionist or health policy and planning. This program mainly focuses to promote the health of public preventing them from the diseases by disease control strategies.
List of colleges offering BPH in PU
- Nobel College Sinamangal, Kathmandu, Nepal Phone Number: +977 01-411 05 25 | 4110590 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- LA Grandee International College Pokhara, Kaski, Nepal Phone No: +977 061-523163, Website: http://www.lagrandee.edu.np/
- National Open College (NOC) Sanepa Ring Road, Lalitpur, Patan P.O Box: 8975 Phone No: 01-5548098 Website: http://www.noc.edu.np/
- To provide student with theoretical and scientific knowledge and understanding to work from community level to the central level health care programs to provide better quality of life to the people and promote health and wellness.
- To prepare the students for higher level of study in and outside the country.
- To prepare the graduates who can increase social awareness and perform various duties related to public health, depending on their specialty.
- To prepare the graduates who work for public health to prevent them from serious health risk, preventing them from recurring and educate them to live a healthy life.
- To train and develop the skills among the students through the community and field practices.
- To provide knowledge of human resource development and public health management
Eligibility for Admission:
The candidates willing to join BPH must follow certain criteria:
- Students must have completed their 10+2 (Higher Secondary Education Board), or I.Sc from Physical or Biological group in Science with a minimum of 50% in aggregate or at least grade C in three subjects in the Advance Level from any Board/University recognized by PU.
- Students should follow all the application procedure that should be done while sitting for entrance examination.
- The application form can be directly collected from the reception of the affiliated College/Campus or can be downloaded on the dates prescribed from the affiliated College/Campus websites for the admission process.
- The filled in application form, along with the photocopy of the mark sheets and stated cash amount or payable deposit slip in name or account of the affiliated College should be submitted before the due date.
- The applicants must appear in the entrance exam conducted by the affiliated college and pass the exam compulsory.
- The merit list of the applicants is published after the entrance examination.
Commencement of Course:
September each year Note: Students who have passed their grade 11 board exam and waiting for the result of grade 12 can also fill the application form and appear in the entrance examination. Applicants should submit their mark sheet of +2 exams before the result of the entrance examination come out or during the admission process.
Course of Study
- Bio-Statistics and Computer Application I
- Technical English
- Microbiology and Immunology
- Introduction to Public Health
- Pharmacology, Pharmacy and Biochemistry
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Pathology and First Aid
- Toxicology and Entomology
- Bio-Statistics and Computer Application II
- Basic Epidemiology I
- Public Health
- Basic Epidemiology II
- Introduction to Sociology and Anthropology
- Applied Epidemiology I
- Health Systems Development I
- Health Promotion and Education
- Applied Epidemiology II
- Medical Sociology and Anthropology
- Environmental and Occupational Health
- Food and Nutrition I
- Applied Health Promotion and Education
- Applied Environmental and Occupational Health I
- Food and Nutrition II
- Human Resource Development
- Primary Health Care in Nepal
- Health Systems Development II
- Research Methodology
- Family Health
- Applied Child Health
- Applied Environmental and Occupational Health II
- Community Diagnosis
- Health Planning and Policy Development
- Health Economics
- Health Seminar in Special Topics
- Health System Research and Computer Software application
- Comprehensive Field Practice
- Special Topics in Public Health (Any Two)
- Health Seminar in Special Topics
Scope and Career Prospects
Once you get the degree of BPH, you are exposed to wide range of jobs. You can work at governmental or nongovernmental jobs; private or public sector. You can also pursue your further higher studies after the completion of BPH in the country or abroad. Some of the jobs you opt to work are as follows:
- Public Health Office in local government or NGO/INGO
- Research Coordinator
- Bio-statistician to analyze and interpret public health-related information
- Health Educator to teach people about health care and safety
- Epidemiologist in Health departments, Universities & Laboratories to look into the causes of diseases and other public health issues to keep them from spreading or recurring.
- Program Coordinator to develop programs and oversee staff and volunteers for a public health cause
- Research Assistant
- Healthcare Consultant
- Infection Control Officer to diagnose and review the medical conditions to ensure that disease does not spread affecting public health
- Project Manager to oversee health services and facilities
- Director of Epidemiology to prevent the recurring of the causes of diseases and various public health problems
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.