Bachelor of Development Studies (Pokhara University)
With an aim to produce the professionals for the development and social engineering, Pokhara University started the program named bachelor in development studies in 2010. It is the multidisciplinary branch of social science, expecting to deal with the emerging thrust of 21st Century on development which is sure for social development. This program investigates key global issues such as governance, inequality, poverty, human rights, debt reduction, HIV and AIDS, ecology, conflict, health, environment, and gender rights. Candidate's knowledge of international developmental processes and global relations will grow within the program which includes both theoretical and practical elements.
To produce highly skilled development professionals, social workers, community planners, researchers, and academic enthusiasts who can primarily work on government and non-governmental sectors, Pokhara University offered the program.
Some of the main objectives of this program are give below:
- To provide knowledge in the fields of development studies by gaining knowledge from economics, geography, sociology, education, account, and management.
- To promote Nepal as an inclusive democratic society by ending fundamental and social discrimination and inequalities.
- To prepare the students with analytical skills and methods for development studies and development practices and to understand the perspective that forms the context of development.
- To develop practical skills through project works and field studies.
- Developing the culture of scientific research in various locations.
- Qualifying the students to come up with development plans and participate in their execution and follow-up.
- Practical training for students in development projects such as Planning, techniques and strategy while designing and running the modern development programs.
- The admission is opened in August, after the result of the Higher Secondary Board Examination. Students from HSEB or other intermediate level from the recognized colleges can apply for the Bachelor of Development Studies.
- The candidates are selected by the merit lists of entrance examination conducted by the School of Development and Social Engineering for the constituent programme and separately by individual colleges for affiliated programmes.
- The Scholarship is given by the Pokhara University for 20 percent students of each intake in the constituents programmes and five percent in affiliated programmes which is funded by the University Grant Commission.
Course of Study
- Applied Mathematics
- English I
- Introduction to Development Studies
- Introduction to Population Studies
- Basic Statistics
- English II
- Sociology and Social Anthropology
- Introduction to Gender Studies
- Introduction to Population of Nepal
- Micro Economics
- Decentralization and Governance System
- Human Rights and Social Justice
- Fundamentals of Human Geography
- Gender Analysis and Development
- Macro Economics
- Migration and Urbanization
- Conflicts Transformation for Development
- Introduction to Social Psychology
- Environment and development
- Basic Research Methods in Social Sciences
- Demographic Techniques
- Introduction to Social Work
- Development Economics
- Human Ecology & Development
- Tourism and Development
- Applied Statistics
- Optional I
- Development Financing
- Poverty and Human Development
- Project Cycle Management
- Information Technology for Social Sciences
- Optional II
- Development Policies & Programmes in Nepal
- Natural Resource Management
- Sustainable Development
- Optional III
- Project Work I
- Natural Process & Human Response
- Field Camp
- State of Development in Third World
- Optional IV
- Project Work II
Scope and Career Prospects
The major areas for the careers of this program are government departments like local development and local governance, governmental and non governmental or public projects and also in international departments and organizations including INGO's , UN agencies ,and Bilateral Agencies. Apart from this all, there is also a high prospect of study inside or outside the country as well as international internships in public health.
Some examples of jobs for the candidate with this degree are:
- Development Advisor
- Social workers
- Community planners
- Development Coordinator
- Academic enthusiast
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.