B.Sc. Environmental Management (Pokhara University)
The Bachelor of Science in Environment Management (B.Sc in Environment Management) is an interdisciplinary academic program that gives a strong foundation in the areas of agricultural ecology, water resources, soil science and hydrology. The program is designed to prepare grads for careers in industries and government departments that deal with the preservation of biodiversity.
Bachelor of Science in Environmental Management degree offered by Pokhara University is spanned over a period of four years. The program comprising of eight semesters and 120 credit hours provides students with knowledge and skills required to recognize and evaluate the technical, scientific and qualitative components of environmental issues. The program covers subjects such as Environmental Geology and Soil, Introductory Physics, Introductory Chemistry, Introductory Biology, Fundamental of Mathematics, General English, Ecology and Environmental Science, Environmental Chemistry, Environmental Microbiology, Applied Mathematics, Communication and Technical English, Sociology and Environment and Fundamental Economics etc. In the eighth semester, students need to work on the thesis.
School of Environmental Management Sustainable Dev (SchEME) is the only college affiliated with Pokhara University that is offering Bachelor of Science in Environmental Management program in Nepal. The institution is located in Shanti Nagar, Kathmandu.
Some of the major objectives of this program are listed below:
- To enable students to apply technology and theory while dealing with environmental issues.
- To enable students to scrutinize mitigation and remediation strategies for diverse environmental hazard.
- To prepare students to work in a team collaboratively while dealing with environmental issues.
- To equip students with environmental management tools and prepare them for further education.
Students interested in pursuing Bachelor of Science in Environmental Management program should have completed +2 or intermediate in Engineering, Agriculture, Forestry and other technical subjects. In addition to this, students need to appear in the entrance test conducted by Pokhara University.
- Attested copies of mark sheets and character certificate of SLC and 10+2 or PCL equivalent
- Duly filled and signed application form
Course of Study
- General English
- Fundamental of Mathematics
- Introductory Biology
- Introductory Chemistry
- Introductory Physics
- Environmental Geology and Soil
- Communication and Technical English
- Applied Mathematics
- Environmental Microbiology
- Ecology and Environmental Science
- Environmental Chemistry
- Environmental Sociology
- Fundamental Economics
- Applied Statistics
- Biodiversity and Biotechnology
- Hydrology and Meteorology
- Environmental Resources and Sustainable Development
- Environmental Economics and Trade
- Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Policy, Laws and Conventions
- Project Management
- Sustainable Tourism Management
- Environmental Management System
- Environmental Assessment Techniques
- Envionrmental Monitoring
- Environmental Governance
- Geo-Information Management
- Comprehensive Environmental Planning and Conflict Management
- Disaster and Risk Assessment Techniques
- Urban Development and Environmental Management
- Integrated Watershed Management
- Environmental Technology
- Aquatic Environmental Management
- Climate Change and Society
- Research Methodology
- Environmental Health and Sanitation
- Emerging Issues, Seminar and Proposal Writing
- Thesis (Research Work)
Scope and Career Prospects
After the imposition of environmental protection legislation in Nepal, the demand of skilled human resources in environment management at the local, regional and central level's enforcement agencies is increasing. Grads with this degree can find career opportunities in NGOs and I NGOs along with other voluntary and statutory organizations.
Bachelor of Science in Environmental Management degree holder can find employment opportunities in an array of fields including state departments, commonwealth & agencies accountable for the conservation, water, climate change policy and environment. Grads can find job opportunities in:
- Environmental Science Consultancy for government
- Environmental Regulatory bodies
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Marine and Coastal Management
- Land Rehabilitation