B.Sc. Nursing (Annual) (Pokhara University)
The four-year academic program, Bachelor of Science in nursing offered by the Pokhara University comprises of 39 practical and theoretical courses which is expected to be completed within 250 credit hours. The program aims to equip students with academic and practical skills needed to deliver qualitative health care at the national and global level. The program is a blend of coursework, clinical experience, simulation and skill practice.
Two academic institutions affiliated with Pokhara University offering Bachelor of Science in Nursing in Nepal:
- Nobel College, located in Sinamangal, Kathmandu
- Pokhara University School of Health and Allied Sciences, located in Dhungepatan, Pokhara, Kaski
Some of the objectives of Bachelor of Science in Nursing are listed below:
- Conduct and participate in research activities for the advancement of nursing profession.
- To prepare students to communicate effectively with patients and health team members.
- To enhance pupils' decision-making skills.
- To train students to act within their professional ethics.
- To enable students to deal with multiple health management issues.
Students interested in pursuing Bachelor of Science in Nursing should have completed intermediate in Science or Proficiency Certificate Level with a minimum of 50% marks. Students need to appear in the entrance test conducted by the university. The candidate must be at least 17 years old.
Selection is made on the basis of applicants' past academic record and performance in the entrance test and interview.
While applying for the admission applicant should submit following documents:
- Verified copy of academic certificates
- Verified copy of character certificate of SLC and +2/intermediate level
- Photocopy of letter of recommendation from teachers at the previous school
- Complete and signed application form
Course of Study
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Microbiology and Immunology
- Principle and Practice of Nursing I (Theory)
- Principle and Practice of Nursing II (Theory)
- Principle and Practice of Nursing I and II (Practical)
- Community Health Nursing – I (Theory)
- Technical English
- Community Health Nursing –II (Theory)
- Community Health Nursing-I and II (Practical)
- Nursing Concept and Theories
- Basic Epidemiology
- Adult Nursing – I (Theory)
- Adult Nursing – II (Theory)
- Adult Nursing – III (Theory)
- Adult Nursing –I, II and III (Practical)
- Child Health Nursing (Theory)
- Child Health Nursing (Practical)
- Psychiatric Nursing (Theory)
- Psychiatric Nursing (Practical)
- Midwifery – I (Theory)
- Midwifery – II (Theory)
- Midwifery – III (Theory)
- Midwifery – I, II and III (Practical)
- Medical Sociology (Theory)
- Gynaecological Nursing (Theory)
- Gynaecological Nursing (Practical)
- Community Health Nursing – III (Theory)
- Community Health Nursing – III (Practical)
- Research Methedology (Theory)
- Biostatistics (Theory)
- Research Methodology (Practical)
- Educational Science (Theory)
- Educational Science (Practical)
- Leadership and Management (Theory)
- Leadership and Management (Practical)
Scope and Career Prospects
The scope of the nursing profession is growing with each passing days. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree opens door to a number of job options in diverse sectors, such as armed forces, schools, voluntary organizations, universities, health service, clinics, private and public hospitals and healthcare providers. Graduates can opt to work as children's nurse, health visitor, high-intensity therapist, midwife, physician associate, mental health nurse, and adult nurse. They even have the option to work as lecturer, counselor, social worker and health service manager.
In general, B.Sc in Nursing degree holder can choose following fields to build the thriving career:
- Obstetrical & Gynaecological nursing
- Industrial nursing school health nursing
- Gerontology nursing psychiatric nursing
- Community health nursing
- Pediatric nursing
- Medical-surgical nursing
- General nursing practice
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.