Master in Population, Gender and Development (Pokhara University)
The program provides students with solid foundation in such areas as women and the economy, current issues in feminism, gender analysis, gender roles and identities in contemporary culture and cultural definition of class, ethnicity and gender.
The Master in Population, Gender and Development (MPGD) Program at Pokhara University was introduced in the year 2004 with a Post-graduate Diploma leading to a post graduate degree. Under tripartite understanding between (1) UNFPA, (2) Government of Nepal and (3) Pokhara University, the discipline was initiated with the aim of boosting PU's competencies in teaching, training and research in the field of development by integrating cross-cutting issues of gender & population. The program is designed to produce proficient development professionals, entrepreneurs and academics, possessing theoretical knowledge and practical skills in development, population and gender.
Normally, the program is completed within two years. Still, the pupils are allowed to complete the program in four years. The program is further divided into four semesters. Altogether there are sixty-three credits hours. The curriculum comprises of Core area, consisting of five courses, Multidisciplinary areas, comprising of three courses, Analytical tools, comprising of three courses, Specialized area, comprising of six courses and Research area.
Internship and project work:
Students are placed into prospective organizations in order to provide them with the real world business experience. Throughout the internship, students learn the practical aspects of development issues which enable them to link the classroom learning with practice. By the end of the program, students need to prepare a report in the given format and present their work in a seminar
Pokhara University-Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences is the only institution that is providing degree in Master in Population, Gender and Development (MPGD).
Some of the major objectives of this program are listed below:
- To produce an exceptionally qualified manpower with the hypothetical understandings of Population, Development and Gender.
- To provide students with a solid grounding for further education in related areas.
- To enhance student's ability to communicate efficiently.
Candidates with 3 years bachelor's degree in any stream or 2 years bachelor's degree along with a minimum of two years professional experience are eligible to pursue this program. Candidates should appear in an entrance test followed by a personal interview.
Course of Study
- Introduction to Population Studies
- Fundamentals of Economics
- Evolution and Development of Gender Studies
- Principles of Development Studies
- Statistics and Mathematics
- Gender, Environment and Development
- Gender, Poverty and Development
- Decentralization and Local Governance
- Migration and Urbanization
- Research Methodology
- Economic Development and Planning
- Contemporary Population, Health and Gender Issues
- Development Policies and Programmes
- Demography of Nepal
- Methods of Population and Gender Analysis
- Human Development
- Project Management
- Fundamentals of Human Rights
- Guided Readings
- Information Technology for Social Sciences
Scope and Career Prospects
This degree holder has a number of job options. Master in Population, Gender and Development studies provides grads with opportunities to work with organizations like USAID, UNFPA, populace Council Care and so on.
Grads with this degree can work as:
- History specialists
- Disease transmission experts
- Approach experts
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.