M.Sc. Natural Resources Management (Pokhara University)
An interdisciplinary academic program, Master of Science in Natural Resources Management focuses on equipping students with an understanding and knowledge of the dynamics of natural resources and its management. Within this course, pupils get familiar to natural resources management related subjects such as land use systems, agricultural economics, urban & community based management etc.
Pokhara University offers two-year research-based Master Science in Natural Resources Management program with aim of providing students with a distinctive education and knowledge needed to find sustainable solutions to diverse challenges related to the management of natural resources. This program is popular among the professionals serving in the areas of ecosystem management, rural & urban planning, forestry, water resources management and waste management.
Nepal Engineering College (NEC) is the only college affiliated with Pokhara University that is offering Master of Science in Natural Resources Management program in Nepal. The institution is located in Changunarayan, Bhaktapur.
Some of the objectives of this program are listed below:
- To equip pupils with an overview of prospective technical solutions and understanding of the limitations and advantages of water & sanitary systems.
- To equip students with knowledge and skills required to solve environmental issues.
- Encourage students to conduct and participate in research works.
- To produce highly competent professionals in the field of Natural Resource Management.
Undergraduates in Animal Science, Forestry, Surveying, Agriculture, Architecture, Engineering, Economics, Geography, Science and Management subjects with minimum of sixteen years of schooling are eligible to apply for this program.
Course of Study
- Natural Resources System
- Climate Change in Natural Resources Management
- Ecology and Ecosystem Management
- Statistical Analysis
- Energy Resources & Environment
- Natural Resources Governance and Policy
- Environmental Assessment and Auditing
- Natural Resources Economics
- Geospatial Techniques in Natural Resources Management
- Integrated Watershed Management
- Research Methodology
- Program Planning & Management
- Society, Livelihood and Participatory Development
Scope and Career Prospects
Master of Science in Natural Resources Management enhances individuals' capability to navigate various natural resources disciplines, enabling them to create practical solution for complex international, national and regional natural resources challenges. These qualities help them to grab respectable jobs, such as environmental consultant or natural resource manager in a number of organizations. Tribal, state and federal natural resources management agencies, public and private educational institutions, policy institutions, non-governmental organizations, local government, international organizations, department of water resources, forest industry are some of the prime recruiters.
Grads with this degree have unlimited employment opportunities in natural resource management. And in the context of Nepal, the demand of the educated and skilled professional is increasing with each passing days as a lots of organizations working in the field of natural resource management are in a great need of competent manpower. An individual with this degree have option to work as:
- Water Conflict Manager
- Wildlife Habitat Specialist
- Recreation Resource Manager
- Natural Resources Manager
- Natural Resources Educator
- Land Use Planner
- GIS Expert
- Fisheries Manager
- Environmental Policy Analyst
- Environmental Consultant
- Extension Agent