Bachelor of Dairy Technology (Purbanchal University)
Purbanchal University offers a bachelors degree in the field of Biological, Biomedical and Food Sciences titled Bachelor of Dairy Technology. It is a 4 years course which is divided into 8 semesters.
College of Applied Food and Dairy Technology (CAFODAT) is the first and the only college in Nepal offering Bachelor of Dairy Technology course. It is located conveniently at New Baneshwor, Kathmandu. The college aims to produce qualified professionals in the food and dairy sector and for that; the college has a specialized team of teachers who are food scientists, dairy scientists, managers and technologists.
The main objectives of this course are as follows:
- To produce food and dairy professionals.
- To improve the investigating procedure in the field of food and dairy.
- To acquire knowledge about the new technologies that are used in the dairy industries as well as in inspecting the quality and purity of the dairy products.
- To enhance the ability to conduct research in the food and dairy sector.
To apply for this course, the eligibility criterion for the students is listed below:
- Must have passed intermediate level in science stream with a minimum of 45% score
- Must have achieved at least 45% score in I. Sc.
- Diploma in food or Dairy or equivalent
Course of Study
- Applied Physics
- Applied Chemistry
- Applied Mathematics and Statistics
- Applied Microbiology
- Basic Engineering for Food and Dairy
- Agro-Business Management
- Food Chemistry
- Food Extension Educatio
- Computer Application in Food & Dairy Industries
- Instrumental Methods of Food Analysis
- Food Process Engineering I
- Biochemistry & Human Nutrition
- Advanced Microbiology
- Biochemical Engineering
- Modern Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering
- Post Harvest Technology
- IT Based Management in Food/Dairy Industries
- Quality Control and Assurance
- Food Process Laboratory System Development
- Food Process Engineering II
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Packaging Technology
- Industrial Microbiology
- Human Resource and Entrepreneurship Development
- Dairy Chemistry I
- Dairy Microbiology I
- Dairy Engineering I : Mechanical And Electrical
- Technology of Dairy Products I : Market Milk
- Technology of Dairy Products II : Indigenous Milk Products
- Dairy Chemistry II
- Dairy Microbiology II
- Dairy Engineering II: Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- Technology of Dairy Products III: Ice-Cream and Frozen Milk Products
- Technology of Dairy Products IV: Fermented Milk Products
- Dairy Extension and Marketing
- Dairy Business Management
- Dairy Engineering III : Design of Dairy Equipment
- Technology of Dairy Products V : Dried and Condensed Milk Products
- Dairy Plant Operation and Instrumentatio
- Quality Control in Dairy
- Research Topic Selection
- In-Plant Training
Scope and Career Prospects
Before the milk and dairy products reaches the hand of consumers, they undergo certain procedures to certain its usability. It is necessary to investigate the pH, quality and other components of the food and dairy products to conclude if it is appropriate to be consumed or not. Harmful components in food and dairy products will cause adverse effect on consumer's health. So, food scientists have a major role in protecting consumer's health.
The Bachelor of Dairy Technology graduates can get a job opportunity as dairy scientists, dairy technologists, dairy experts etc. The field has a wide scope within and outside Nepal. The salary paid to such posts is also high.