Bachelor of Engineering in Biomedical Engineering (Purbanchal University)
Biomedical engineering integrates the engineering ideology & design ideas to biology and medication for healthcare purpose. This discipline brings engineers and physicians together to upgrade healthcare and save lives. This program is especially designed for those students who are interested in technology and have passion in medicine.
Bachelor in Biomedical Engineering is a comparatively new disciple throughout the world. In Nepal, Purbanchal University offers this course from College of Biomedical Engineering & Applied Sciences. It is a four year program that equips students with an in-depth understanding in medicinal sciences & life sciences disciplines, engineering along with a primary & fundamental background in basic sciences. The program requires the study of physiology, diseases and human anatomy along with multiple engineering disciplines, including mechanical engineering, computer engineering, electronics and electrical. It includes rehabilitation engineering, drug delivery systems, drug regulation, plasma engineering, tissue engineering and cellular & molecular engineering as well.
In Nepal, this course is only offered at College of Biomedical Engineering and Applied Science in Handigaun Kathmandu and it charges NRs. 5,50,000 for four years of education.
Following the graduation, grades are anticipated to be capable to:
- Demonstrate effective technical, resource management, scientific and communication skills while practicing their profession.
- Take part in ongoing education in order to amplify their knowledge and understanding of contemporary professional problems.
- Exhibit a quest for success and professional excellence.
- Exhibit an analytical, system and quantitative approach while solving problems.
Students with this degree are anticipated to have:
- Capability of using skills & techniques along with modern engineering equipment require for engineering practice.
- A profound knowledge and understanding of contemporary problems.
- Capability to recognize, formulate as well as resolve engineering related issues.
- An ability to work in team.
- A complete understanding of ethical and professional responsibility.
An applicant from both Biology and Maths streams of I.Sc or intermediate are eligible to apply for admission to this program.
Course of Study
- Engineering Mathematics I
- Communicative English
- Introduction to Computer and Programming
- Engineering Drawing
- Basic Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Mathematics II
- Basic Mechanical Engineering
- Electro Engineering Materials
- Computer System & Database
- Engineering Mathematics III
- Bio-Engineering Materials and Components
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I
- Fluid Mechanics
- Cell Biology and Immunology
- Applied Maths
- Electronic Devices and Circuits
- Research Methodology
- Human Anatomy and Physiology II
- Probability and Statistics
- Numerical Methods
- Measurement and Instrumentation
- Control Systems
- Biomedical Embedded System Design
- Communication Systems
- Engineering Economics
- Tissue Device Interactions
- Medical Imaging I
- Biomedical Instrumentation I
- Medical Electronics
- Biomedical Digital Signal Processing
- Organization and Project Management
- Biomedical Instrumentation II
- Medical Imaging II
- Implantable Devices
- Elective I
- Medical Industry Management
- Engineering Professional Practice
- Elective II
- Elective III
- Project/Hospital Attachment
Scope and Career Prospects
Due to the increasing technology & its application to medical devices and equipment, the demand for biomedical engineers is anticipated to increase in near future. However, this degree holder has varied job options at present as well as they are greatly sought after in the global market. In the context of Nepal, medical device companies and hospitals are actually in need of qualified biomedical engineers.
Following the completion of this program, grads can seek a job in medical colleges, nursing homes, medical device industries and hospitals. Moreover, students even have the option to further continue their education by specializing in Bio-mechanics, Medical Electronics, tissue Engineering, Medical Physics etc after completing Bachelor of Engineering in Biomedical Engineering.
In all most all the countries throughout the globe, a license is a must in order to practice Biomedical engineering professionally. Licensing normally needs completion of an accredited four-year bachelor's program, passing a slew of exams and serving for few years.