Bachelor of Engineering in Geomatic Engineering (Purbanchal University)
Bachelor of Geomatic Engineering is a four year, 8 semester program of Purbanchal University. This course is taught under the faculty of science and technology. Geomatics engineering can also be called as Geospatial Engineering. Geomatics engineering is very rapidly growing field carrying huge potential in it. This engineering is primarily concerned with spatial information which basically denotes information that has a location. The location is the prime feature that is used to combine varieties of data necessary for information and visualization. Here in Geomatic engineering, ideas, knowledge and techniques for analysis, investigation and gathering of spatial information of earth, water, nature, natural resources, manmade features, etc are imparted to students. Students learn to do all those complex work of designing, developing and operating systems indispensable for Geomatics engineering by using the advanced equipments like digital theodolite, GPS, GIS etc. This kind of modern equipments has revolutionized the surveying work and has helped to garner important information regarding the various components of our surroundings.
List of colleges offering BE Geomatic Engineering in Nepal:
HIMALAYAN COLLEGE OF GEOMATIC ENGINEERING & LAND RESOURCES, KATHMANDU is the only college providing BE geomatics engineering in PU.
Fee structure: It takes around Rs. 3- 5 lakhs for studying BE Geomatics engineering in PU. One can contact college concerned for authentic information.
The main objectives of this course are as follows:
- To provide the knowledge regarding the fundamental principles of Geomatics engineering and produce efficient Geomatician having ample ideas in this field.
- To produce students having skills and techniques to use advance technologies and equipments like photogrammetry, remote sensing, geographical information systems (GIS), GPS, etc.
- To develop students having capacity to work individually as well as work in the team and use his/her creativeness to think out of the box to solve the problems of the field.
- To develop passion in students for higher education and continuous professional development without compromising the ethical and moral responsibility.
- He/ She should have passed intermediate in Science (I.Sc) or 10+2 in science or A-Level or Diploma in Geomatics Engineering or equivalent level from Purbanchal University or Board/ Institution/ University recognized by PU with minimum 45% marks in aggregate.
- He/ She should appear and successfully pass in the entrance test conducted by Purbanchal University to get qualified for the admission.
- Total Marks: 100, Total Time: 2 hours, Question pattern: Objective multiple choice questions. Physics: 25 marks, Chemistry: 25 marks, Maths: 25 Marks, English: 25 marks. Merit list is published by adding 50% marks of entrance and 50% of Intermediate level.
Some of the institutes helping students to prepare the entrance exam of engineering are as follows:
- PEA Association Pvt. Ltd., Thapathali, Kathmandu
- Training Nepal, Putalisadak, Kathmandu
- NAEE Education Centre, Patan Dhoka, lalitpur
- KEI Foundation, Kupondole, lalitpur
- Kanchanjanga Education Institute (KEI), Kupondole, lalitpur
Course of Study
- Fundamental of Surveying
- Introduction of GIS
- Communicative English
- Mathematics 1
- MAP Drafting and Design
- Computer Concept and Programming
- Fieldwork 1 (Plane Surveying)
- Plane Surveying
- Computer Drafting and Design
- Mathematics 2
- Geodesy 1 – Geodetic Control
- Land Administration
- Topographical Surveying 1
- Communicative Nepali
- Field Astronomy
- Fundamental of Thermodynamics & Heat
- Cadastral Surveying 1
- Land Law
- Mathematics 3
- Photogrammetry 1
- Cartography 1 – Map Projections
- Fieldwork 2 – Geodetic Surveying
- Geodesy 2 – Gravity and GNSS
- Remote Sensing
- Cadastral Surveying 2 – digital Cadastre
- Land Registration
- Photogrammetry 2
- Cartography 2
- Computer Programming
- Mathematics 5 (Probability & Statistics)
- Topographical Surveying of other surfaces
- Geodesy 3 – Satellite Geodesy
- Digital Photogrammetry 1 – Theoretical
- Digital Image Processing
- Digital Cartography 1 – Theoretical
- Map Reproduction Technology
- Mathematics 4 – Numerical Method
- Fieldwork 3 (Topo. and Cadastral Surveying)
- Environmental Survey and Mapping
- Geodesy 4 – Physical Geodesy
- Geomatic Computation 1 – Survey Adjustment
- Digital Photogrammetry 2 – Observational
- Socio – Economic Survey
- Digital Cartography 2 – Digital and Web Mapping
- Research Methodology
- Geologic Survey
- Project Management
- Engineering Survey
- Land Valuating 1 – Introduction
- Geographical Information System 1 (GIS)
- Land Reform and Management
- Geomatic Computation 2 – Survey software
- Project Fieldwork
- Elective Subject - Geographical Data Infrastructures & Web Mapping
- Elective Subject - Gravity, GNSS and Inertial Positioning
- Elective Subject - Quantity Surveying
- Elective Subject - Land Information System
- Elective Subject - Urban and Regional Planning
- Professional Practice and Ethics
- Land Resource Mapping
- Engineering Survey 2 – Project Survey
- Land Valuation 2
- GIS 2 – Dev. and Implementation of GIS
- Land/Earth Observation System
- Project/Thesis work
Scope and Career Prospects
Geomatics Engineering is highly rewarding engineering fields which is getting high attention from different corners. Graduates can get jobs in very short span of time. There are different multinational companies, factories, industries, etc where graduates can work. Placing oil rigs, monitoring pipelines across ocean, mapping and surveying etc are the work done by the Geomatics engineers. Those graduates who have good command in remote sensing can get job in cultural and national heritage sites, minerals industries, oil industries, environment related organizations, etc. This engineering is the mixture of fun and work because you should travel to different place while working, so it is very interesting job to do. The graduates can also work at the organizations where technician with GIS knowledge is needed. Some of the fields where Geomatics Engineers can work are: Government organizations, NGO/ INGOs, Hydro power companies, Consultancy and firms, Research Institutes, NEA and Environmental organization, Army and Police organizations, Organizations working in transport management and natural resources management etc.
Many institutions in Nepal easily provide employment for Engineers in Geomatic Engineering. This includes both Governmental and Non-Governmental Organizations.
Some of them are:
- Governmental ministries and departments like roads, water,civil, aviation, etc
- Nepal Police and Army
- Nepal Electricity Authority
- Private Hydropowers Companies
- Building companies and checking companies
- National and International NGO.
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.