Bachelor of Fashion Design (Purbanchal University)
Bachelor of Fashion Design offered by Purbanchal University is an intensive three years course that provides students with innovative thinking, creative skills, new fashion design and practical expertise along with critical analysis that support original fashion ideas. In order to gain Bachelor of Fashion Design degree, students should successfully complete 120 credit hours and thirty-one courses.
The high point of this degree is that in the sixteenth week of the program, students get the opportunity to showcase their own design in an event named Graduate Project Fashion Show. Students should create their own designs in various subjects assigned to them on the basis of the skills and knowledge they have acquired throughout the semester.
Purbanchal University affiliated colleges that offer Bachelor of Fashion Design:
- Namuna College of Fashion Technology: NCFT is the first college in Nepal that offers Bachelor Level courses in fashion design. Founded in 2002, the institution is located in Bansbari Rd, Kathmandu.
The major goals of this program are listed below:
- Equipping students with knowledge and skills required to face the ever changing fashion industry by providing advanced and comprehensive education in the fashion designing.
- Make students able for further education (Postgraduates degree in field of fashion).
- Produce skilled human resources in the area of fashion technology.
- Make grads able to address the increasing demands of the fashion industry.
Applicants should have passed +2 level from recognized university or board with a minimum of 35% out of 100%. Students from any stream may join BFD.
While applying for the admission, applicant must submit the following documents:
- Accurately filled and signed application form
- Official certificates of SLC and +2 level and
- Two recently taken passport size photos
Candidates should pass the entrance test conducted by the college. Test is taken in the following subjects
- Fashion Design
- English Aptitude Test
- General Knowledge
Course of Study
- Clothing Technology-I
- Garment Technology –I
- Textile Material and Design
- Elements of Design and Fashion-I
- Basics of Computer and Aided Design
- Business Communication
- Clothing Technology-II
- Textile Design and Fabric Manufacture
- Elements of Design and Fashion-II
- Garment Technology–II
- Computer Aided Design
- Clothing Technology-III
- Textile Design and Chemistry
- History of Costume and Illustration
- Apparel Designing
- Clothing Technology-IV
- Textile Design and Analysis
- Apparel and Accessories Designing
- Principles of Management
- Clothing Technology-V
- Fashion Sketching
- Draping, Pattern Making and Grading
- Fashion Marketing
- Clothing Technology-VI
- Fashion Styling
- Fashion Merchandising
- Personality Enrichment and Career Development
- Internship and Report writing
- Fashion Trend Analysis and Forecasting
- Portfolio Development
- Fashion Show
- Design Collection (Catalogue)
Scope and Career Prospects
The fashion industry is growing rapidly all over the world including Nepal. Thus, the need of highly qualified and skilled manpower in the arena of the fashion industry is increasing day by day. As BFD is a job oriented course, graduates should not wait long to start a vocation in fashion related fields.
A number of grads are practicing designing independently soon after completing the graduation. Apart from running their own boutique, an individual with this degree can work as:
- Fashion journalist
- Fashion blogger
- Costume designer
- Trend forecaster
- Pattern designer
- Accessories designer
- Fashion trend maker
- Embroidery designer
- Fashion industrialist
Â© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.