Bachelor of Journalism And Mass Communication (Purbanchal University)
Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication degree equips students with theoretical concepts and practical skills needed for a thriving career in the field of Journalism and Mass communication including public relations, news analysis and reporting. This program gives insight into the history and ethical issues of media functioning.
Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication (BA/MCJ) offered by the Purbanchal University is an intensive three years program that can be completed within six semesters. The discipline comprises of thirty six courses and internship in the final semester. Introduction to Journalism and Mass Communication, Introduction to Literature, Compulsory Nepali, Interpersonal Communication, Journalism Reporting, Communication, News Editing, Compulsory English, History of Mass communication, English Poetry, Sociology-Linguistic and Discourse Analysis, Web Development are some of the courses students should undertake while studying BA/MCJ.
Some of the major objectives of this program are listed below:
- To equip pupils with communication skills, theoretical concepts and practical training required to have a flourishing media career.
- To enhance students' team work techniques, research skill and leadership ability.
- To produce efficient professionals in the related field.
- To prepare student for further education.
Students interested to pursue Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication should have completed +2 or intermediate level in any stream. Admission opens in the month of Ashoj every year.
While applying for the admission students should submit the following documents:
- Accurately filled and signed admission form.
- Photocopy/copy of certificates of SLC and +2 or intermediate level.
- Character certificates issued by the academic institutes attended.
- Two recent passport size photos.
Course of Study
- Introduction to Journalism and Mass Communication
- News Reporting
- Elective Nepali
- Compulsory English
- Introductions to Literature
- Interpersonal Communication
- History of Mass Communication
- Compulsory Nepali II
- Compulsory English II
- RADIO JOURNALISM
- Essays, Short Story and Fiction
- LANGUAGE I (Elective FRENCH or CHINEES)
- CONFLICT RESOLUTIONAND PEACE COMMUNICATION
- NEWS REPORTING -II
- Advertising and Marketing Communications
- Basics of Photo Journalism
- Media in Conflict Management
- Basics of Media Research
- RADIO PROGRAM PRODUCTION TECHNIQUES-III
- Language II (ELECTIVE FRENCH orCHINEES)
- Socio Linguistic and Discourse Analysis
- Disaster Management
- Human Rights and Democracy
- Regional Conflicts
- Investigative Journalism
- Sociology I
- Language III(ELECTIVE FRENCH or CHINESE)
- News Writing and Editing
- Media and Security Organizations
- Media and Gender
- Media and National Defense
- Web Technology
- SOCIOLOGY –II
- Language IV (ELECTIVE FRENCH or CHINESE)
- Media Laws
- English Poetry
- Environment Journalism
- Social Media and Modern Practices
- RIGHT TO INFORMATION
- MEDIA & COMMUNICATION
- Language V (ELECTIVE FRENCH or CHINESE)
- Television program production
- Film Studies
- Development Journalism
- Advanced Photo and Visual Communication
- Media Management
- English for Journalism
- RURAL TOURISM
- Contemporary Issues in Media Communication
- Media Literacy
- Constitutional Evolution in Nepal
- Media and Self-Regulations
- PLACEMENT (INTERNSHIP)
Scope and Career Prospects
Journalists are regarded as a fourth organ of the nation. They are responsible for keeping us updated with the national as well as international happenings. The purpose of this program itself is to educate & inform, update & interpret the people. Thus, career in journalism and mass communication is considered as one of the most prestigious and highly paid profession. Sky is the limit for those who hold Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication degree. Grads can find employment opportunities in TV channels, Radio channels, websites, press information bureau, government information service, periodicals & magazines and newspapers. Additionally, grads with this degree are hired by photography companies, central information service, advertising agencies, legal affairs department, news agencies and broadcasting corporations. Moreover, grads can pursue vocation independently by writing books, novels and blogs.
Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication degree holder has options to make a prosperous career in a number of journalism related areas. Some of the most popular career options among this degree holder are:
- Social media manager
- Public relation officer
- Media planner
- Magazine journalist
- Editorial assistant
- Market researcher
- Video jockey
- Fashion photographer cartoonist
- Special correspondent
- TV correspondent
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.