Bachelor of Public Health (Purbanchal University)
Bachelor of Public Health provides students with a solid foundation in an array of disciplines like medicine, nutrition, primary health care and nursing. The program allows students to broaden their knowledge and skills in public health. It aims to produce professional public health specialists with the high level managerial and technical skills.
Purbanchal University offers Bachelor of Public health (BPH) program which can be completed within three years. The program comprises of twenty-one courses. In the 2nd and 3rd year, students have to undertake residential and concurrent fieldwork. To successfully complete the program, students should undertake courses like Food and Nutrition, Public Health, Primary Health Care and Community Health Development, Public Health Laboratory Science I and II, Fundamentals of Epidemiology, Bio-Statistics and Computer Application, Applied Sciences and First Aid, Community Health Diagnosis, Introductory Health Education and School Health etc.
Colleges affiliated with Purbanchal University offering Bachelor of Public Health program:
There are fourteen colleges affiliated with Purbanchal University that offer BPH degree:
- Valley College of Technical Sciences, located in Baluwatar, Kathmandu
- Birat Health College and Research Centre, located in Biratnagar, Morang
- Hope International College, located in Satdobato, Lalitpur
- Karnali College of Health Science, located in Gaushala, Kathmandu
- Asian College of Advance Studies, located in Satdobato, Lalitpur
- Little Buddha College of Health Sciences, located in Gyaneshwor, Kathmandu
- Koshi Health & Science Campus, located in Biratnagar, Morang
- Manmohan Memorial Institute of Health Sciences, located in Nakkhu, Lalitpur
- Om Health Campus, located in Chabahil, Kathmandu
- Yeti Health Science Academy, located in Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
- Sanjeevani College of Medical Sciences, located in Butwal, Rupandehi
- Shree Medical and Technical College, located in Bharatpur, Chitwan
- Nepal Institute of Health Sciences, Bouddha, Kathmandu
- Chakrabarti HaBi Education Academy, located in Madhyapur, Thimi, Bhaktapur
The aim of BPH program is to equip students with in-depth knowledge and practical skills needed to deliver qualitative health services. Some of the major objectives of this program are listed below:
- To enable students to design, analyze and evaluate applied public health science research and management.
- To provide students with theoretical knowledge and practical training in Public Health.
- Develop vocational skills of professional through intensive education in health promotion & strategies.
- To enable students to understand principles and practices of public health.
The candidates should have a certificate in general medicine or intermediate sciences or +2 with biology, chemistry, Physics, math and English as main subjects and should have secured a minimum of 50% of marks in aggregate. Students with certificate level course in health science can as well apply for this program. The candidate must be at least 17 years old.
- Attested copies of mark sheets and character certificate of SLC and 10+2 or PCL equivalent.
- 4 copies of PP size photographs.
- Certificate of Medical Examination.
- Duly filled admission form.
Course of Study
- Anatomy and Physiology Theory +practical
- Pathophysiology, First Aid and Safety
- Biochemistry and Immunology
- Microbiology, Parasitology, Bacteriology & Virology
- Medical Entomology and Rodentology
- Professional English
- Introduction to Public Health
- Basic Epidimology
- Basic Food and Nutrition
- Biostatistics and Computer Application
- Pharmacy, Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Environmental Health and Ecosystem
- Family Health, Maternal and Child Health
- Population Studies and Family Planning
- Fundamentals of Health Education
- Primary Health Care and International Health
- Community Health Organization and Development
- Medical Sociology and Anthropology
- Applied Environmental and Occupational Health
- Applied Epidemiology
- Applied Biostatistics
- Applied Public Health Nutrition
- School Health and Oral Health
- Reproductive Health and Gender
- Clinical Epidemiology
- Applied Health Education
- Mental Health and Behavioral Science
- Community Health Diagnosis
- Health Service Management in Nepal
- Public Health Administration and Management
- Biodiversity, Climate Change and Health
- Training & Curriculum Development
- Health Economics and Health Financing
- Public Health Research
- Urban Health, Public Health Engineering and Disaster Management
- Logistic Management and Software Application
- Practical Skill Development (Comprehensive Public Health Management Field Practice)
- National Health Policy and Plan
- Human Resource for Health
- Project Management
- Public Health Research Report
Scope and Career Prospects
Grads with this degree can find work in both private and public sectors. They can find employment opportunities in health care industry, government departments and NGO/INGO. BPH degree holders can work as a health educator, research coordinator, public health officer, research assistant, biostatistician, epidemiologist, consultant, and project manager, director of epidemiology and infection control officer.