Master of Hotel and Hospitality Management (Purbanchal University)
Purbanchal University offers a master's degree in the field of hospitality which is termed as Master of Hotel and Hospitality Management. This course comes under the faculty of Tourism and Hospitality. The total length of time required to complete this course is 2 years. It is a semester based course which will last for a total of 4 semesters respectively.
This course is specially designed for the graduates who want to continue their study in the field of hospitality. The curriculum of the course consists of different practical projects, seminars and also training on field.
This course insight to:
- Produce managerial workforce in the service industry.
- Provide detail knowledge to students about hospitality and service.
- Provide practical training and internships in the related sector.
- Offer specialization to adapt current industry requirements.
- Provide in-depth knowledge of research and critical analysis.
- Make students familiar with the concepts related to the tourism business management.
- Energize entrepreneurial capacities through key considering, critical thinking, basic leadership, situational examination and authority.
- Provide knowledge about using new advance technologies for the well-being of the hospitality field.
There is a separate admission criteria for the students who wish to pursue this degree. As this is a master's degree, the eligibility criteria are set accordingly.
Generally, students having a bachelor's degree in hospitality management from a recognized institution apply for this course. However, a student whose first degree is not hotel management is also eligible to apply for this program if they have 2 years of full time work experience in the related sector.
There will also be a written examination conducted by the Purbanchal University. The students will be short listed on the basis of both academics and written examination. After that the shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview and then selected accordingly.
Students with the non-hospitality background will have to study a foundation course in addition to the actual course. The following subjects are to be studied in the foundation course:
- Front office Management
- Food and Beverage Service
- House Keeping Management
- Food Production
Course of Study
- Hospitality Management
- Management Information System
- Equipments & Materials Managemen
- Hospitality Purchasing Management
- Managerial Accounting
- Hospitality Sales and Marketing Management
- Hospitality Organization Administration
- Tourism Economics
- Hospitality & Business Law
- Elective Subject - Hospitality Security and Safety Management
- Elective Subject - Bar and Beverage Management
- Property Design, Planning and Development
- Hospitality & Tourism Case Analysis
- Production Operation Management
- Hospitality Training & Development
- Entrepreneurship & Strategic Management
- Resort Management
- Foundation Course (Non-Credit)
- Front Office Management
- Housekeeping Management
- Food & Beverage Service
- Food Production
Scope and Career Prospects
There are many job opportunities in the field of hotel and hospitality. Service industries like restaurants, hotels, motels demands personnel with master's degree in hotel and hospitality management.
Nepalese particularly is highly dependent on the service sector. There are many hotels and resorts in major cities of Nepal. That's why, there are many employment opportunities.
There are many high salaried posts available for MHM graduates, out of those some are given below:
- Accommodation manager
- Catering manager
- Event organizer
- Fast food restaurant manager
- Hotel manager
- Public house manager
- Restaurant manager
Additionally, there are many awaited projects in Nepal. A much known project includes a 5 star hotel to be opened soon by Marriott International. The Marriott Kathmandu is located in Thamel and many more branch hotels of Marriott International include in future ventures.
Since many international projects are operating in Nepal, it means, tourism industry has started taking big steps. Hospitality sector indeed plays an important role for the growth of the economy of Nepal.
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.