M.Sc. Meat Technology (Purbanchal University)
Purbanchal University offers 2 years course of Master of Science in Meat Technology which falls under Biological, Biomedical and Food Sciences. Student should complete the semester examinations to achieve Master's degree.
Taking the official membership of WTO, Nepal has already entered into the globalized open market economic system. There are both opportunities and challenges for the agricultural countries like Nepal. There's a need of specialized manpower to analyze daily Diary products like meat, milk, cheese, butter, etc. and horticulture and medicine plants before consumption. This course helps to develop highly qualified and competent human resources in these areas that are required for the current development and future development of the country.
Nowadays, new technologies for quality measurement and improvement are being produced. This course involves the research and development of such industries. The scope of this course is not only limited within Nepal but has also a wide range of scope throughout the world. Affiliation with Purbanchal University, Himalaya College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology (HICAST), situated in Kalanki, Kathmandu, Nepal, has been conducting Post-Graduate Programs on MSc. in Meat Technology.
The main objective are:
- To provide in-depth theory and practical knowledge of Microbiology, Statistics, Bio-Chemistry, Food Chemistry, Diary/Meat Processing and Engineering, Environmental Engineering, product development and manufacture and the marketing related to all those above subject matters.
- To provide more practical and actual field experience by letting them visit industries and factories. Moreover, the students are provided 3 months in-plant training by those industries.
- Finally, this course also helps the students to provide knowledge in Research methodology, R&D project planning, Quality assessment and industry/enterprise management.
Candidates who have passed the following examinations from P.U or any institute or university recognized or assigned by Purbanchal University are eligible to apply for the M Sc. MT course. The candidates about to apply for this course must appear in the entrance examination conducted by PU. The admission of the students will be done on merit basis.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
The quality of meat has a major effect on the health of the consumers. There is a major role of Food technologist in meat and dairy product analysis to verify if such products are acceptable to be consumed.
Food technologist knows how to control the quality, further enhancement, and other dependent commodities related in the analysis. The analysis takes place from initial growth to slaughter time, for preparation and consumption of the meat.
There are varieties of employment opportunities available in the field of Food Industry for Food technologist. Depending on their field of specialization, there can be various kinds of employment opportunities for the Master of Science and Meat Technology graduate.
Graduates can enroll themselves in variety of areas. Some of them are:
- Quality Assurance
- Technical salves
- Production Management
- Process and product development
- Food Microbiologist
- Food Standard Officer
- Food Technologist
- Food Researcher and Quality Developer