BE in Geomatics Engineering (Tribhuvan University)
Bachelor in Geomatics Engineering is offered by Department of Civil Engineering, Western Regional Campus, Pokhara. This campus is the constituent campus of Tribhuvan University. The geomatics engineering like other engineering is a 4 year program of 8 semesters whose duration is of 48 months. Another name of Geomatics engineering is Geospatial Engineering. Geomatics engineering is a very fast growing field. This discipline focuses on spatial information. The spatial information means information that has a location. The location is the main factor that is used to put together a wide of range of data necessary for information and visualization. In geomatics engineering, students are taught to analyze and collect spatial information of land, water, natural resources, manmade feature etc by designing, developing and operating systems necessary for it. The Gemomatics engineering has revolutionized surveying by using advance tools like digital theodolite, GPS, GIS etc.
List of colleges offering Geomatics Engineering in Nepal
There are no private colleges offering BE Geomatics in TU. Western Regional Campus, Pokhara is the only one college offering BE Geomatics.
The fee for regular students (Scholarship) is about Rs. 8, 300 and for full paid is about Rs. 75,700 per semester. There are some minor additional costs which can be learned in the college.
The objectives of Geomatics engineering are given below:
- To impart students the comprehensive knowledge of fundamentals of Geomatics engineering so that they can work as an entry level Geomatician having sound understanding of surveying and mapping.
- Develop technical competency in students in the fields of surveying technique, land management, photogrammetry, remote sensing, geographical information systems etc. as a result they can solve the engineering problems of their field.
- Help students successfully meet their education requirement to pass professional registration along with developing leadership and team building skills.
- Develop creativeness in students to pursue further study in this field or continue in professional learning activities by being aware about the moral and ethical responsibility towards the society.
- Minimum 45% marks in Intermediate level in science stream.
- Should have I Sc degree or +2 science with 200 marks mathematics or A- level or Diploma in Engineering or equivalent courses from board or institution or university recognized by TU.
- Should have fulfilled all the procedure as per the instruction given in Entrance Form fill up notice of IOE.
- Full marks: 140 Total questions: 100. Total Time: 2.00 hours
- English: 22 marks, Mathematics and Physics: 40 marks each
- Chemistry: 20 marks; Engineering Aptitude: 18 marks
All questions are objective based in computerized format with 10% negative marking for wrong answer. The result is published as per merit list.
Some of the entrance preparation institutes for engineering entrance exam are as follows:
- PEA Association Pvt. Ltd., Thapathali, Kathmandu
- NAEE Education Centre, Patan Dhoka, lalitpur
- KEI Foundation, Kupondole, Lalitpur
- Kanchanjanga Education Institute (KEI), Kupondole, Lalitpur
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
Geomatics is one of the most fast growing engineering fields. Graduates can find good jobs in very short period of time. Geomatics Engineers can work at offshore companies positioning oil rigs and monitoring pipelines across ocean as they have technique of mapping. Geomatics graduates who have good knowledge remote sensing can get job in national heritage, environmental organizations, minerals and oil industry. The graduates have ample opportunities to travel while working so it is very interesting. The graduates can work at the organizations where technician with GIS knowledge is needed. In Nepal some of the fields where Geomatics Engineers can work are:
- Government organizations
- NGO/ INGOs
- Hydro power companies
- Consultancy and firms
- NEA and Environmental organization
- Nepal Army
- Organizations working in transport management and natural resources management etc.