Bachelor of Hotel Management (Tribhuvan University)
Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM) is a 4 year program spreading over 8 semesters under Tribhuvan University. This course covers the fundamental of Hotel management, Food and Beverage production, Hospitality management, Office and Housekeeping management along with familiarizing the students with the multi dimension of hospitality industry. The course is both theoretical and practical in nature. It is the course of 120 credit hours consisting of 2000 marks. There occurs regular interns and job placement during the study period. From this also, we can assume the prospects of BHM in the job market. This is one of the fields whose scope is growing extensively day by day. The hotel management is a very dazzling, colorful and challenging career.
List of colleges offering BHM course in TU:
- National College of Computer Studies (NCCS), Paknajol, kathmandu
- Nepal Academy of Tourism & Hotel Management (NATHM), Kalimati
- Nepal College of Travel & Tourism Management, Naxal, Kathmandu
- Nesfield International College, Lagankhel, Kathmandu
- GoldengateInternational College, Battisputali Kathmandu
- Balkumari College, Narayangarh Chitwan
The fee structure of BHM lies in between Rs. 3, 50,000 – Rs.4, 80,000. The fee structure of different colleges varies one after another. For authentic confirmation of fee structure, one can visit the official website of the college concerned or can contact college administration.
- To help students occupy the position of supervisor in the hotels and catering industry with sufficient management knowledge.
- Acquire the basic technical and social knowledge of handling hotels and catering service professionally.
- Applying basic cost reduction measures to make the business operation economically and financially successful.
- Set standards of providing 100 percent quality service to the customers.
- Become successful entrepreneurs in small and large firms.
- Help student develop a positive attitude towards trade with greater initiative and operations.
- The aspirants should have completed intermediate (10+2) or equivalent level of examination from any Board/ University recognized by Tribhuvan University.
- Students from any faculty can join BHM but he/ she should have secured at least 45% marks in the plus two.
- He/ she should have English as compulsory subjects.
In order to get admitted in BHM the students should follow the given criteria:
The aspirants should appear in CMAT entrance test (Central Management Aptitude Test) taken by Faculty of Management. Exam pattern is same as that of BBA/ BIM etc,. Students\\\\' ability to answer the questions is judged by categorizing it into four sections. Those sections are verbal analysis, Knowledge of Quantitative techniques, reasoning with logic and GK. 25 questions from each four is asked to the students.
Those students whose marks are above cut off point of 40% are called for interview. After that those students who have passed both exams get admitted in different colleges as per merit basis.
Taking Entrance preparation classes is a good idea if you want to secure good marks in the CMAT test. When you come across the trained professional delivering shortcut ideas, techniques and formulas to handle different questions differently, your perception changes and it becomes easier for you to do well in exam. If you are quite confident about yourself than one can bring book from the stationery and start reading without thinking anything else. But it is recommended to take entrance preparation classes as it not only helps in CMAT but also for interview. The bridge course institute like Universal Teach, Motif Institute etc is helping students to prepare for CMAT.
Course of Study
- English I
- Principles of Management
- Food Production & Patisserie I(Core course)
- Food and Beverage Service Operation I(Core Course)
- Housekeeping Operation I(Core Course)
- Food Production & Patisserie II
- Food and Beverage Service Operation II
- House Keeping Management
- Hotel Accounting
- Business Communication
- Cost and Management Accountancy
- Food Production & Patisserie III
- Food and Beverage Service Operation III
- Front Office Operations I
- Food Science & Nutrition
- Front Office Management
- Food Production Management
- Food and Beverage Management
- Financial Management
- Human Resources Management
- Facility Planning and Management
- Hospitality Marketing and Sales
- Fundamentals of Tourism
- Industrial Exposure
- Industrial Exposure
- Project Work
- Internship Report
- Legal Environment for Hospitality
- Organization Behavior
- Strategic Management
- Enterpreneurship for Hospitality
- Nepalese Society & Politics
Scope and Career Prospects
Going to one of the fine restaurants and enjoying a delicious food and watching the beautiful scenes is the desire of every people. The first sentence itself signifies the importance of BHM and it also gives about how important it is in today's world. Individual can go international through BHM and it has very colorful prospects in the days to come. The BHM graduates can find career in Airline industry, teaching, hotels/ resorts/ Service apartments, recreational service, Casinos, Cruise ships, parks, event management, etc. It is also good field for those who want to go abroad for their further study.
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.