MA Economics (Tribhuvan University)
MA Economics program which is affiliated to Tribhuvan University (TU) is a two year Master’s level program conducted over 4 semesters. MA economics is conducted as semester system in Central Campus Kirtipur where as classes take place in yearly basis in other affiliated campus within and outside valley. In semester, students appear in one semester, sit in the exam and are promoted in the next semester. In yearly system, students appear in the exam once in a year and are promoted to next year. The program was launched by TU with the purpose providing the comprehensive knowledge of economics towards its student so that it can be beneficial for student to earn their livelihood for themselves and generate expert ideas for their country and the world as a whole. The description below is focused towards semester system.
- The objective of MA economics is to make student familiar with the fundamental economic theories, knowledge and practices of different branch of economics.
- MA economics degree aims to fulfill the increasing demand of economics students in job market nationally and internationally.
- MA economics is inclined more towards imparting both theoretical and practical knowledge to the student rather than conventional theory based knowledge.
- By assigning students different project work, term paper, home work, this course aims to impart research based knowledge to students so that it becomes easy for student to compete with the students of other Universities globally.
- MA economics course is designed to facilitate students and enhance their capabilities in order to compete in different government jobs, competing exam and text.
- MA economics degree which is taught in English language was designed with objective to provide knowledge how household, individuals, organizations, government and societies allocate resources efficiently.
Students willing to pursue MA economics degree program must meet the following criteria
- He/ She must have completed bachelor level (B.A or B. Ed) with major subject as Economics or equivalent level of education from Tribhuvan University or any institution recognized by Tribhuvan University.
- For student willing to pursue economics from Science or Management faculty , bachelor level degree is needed in their respective field.
- Student should appear for Entrance level examination conducted by TU and passed students are enrolled under merit basis.
Admission process in MA economics in TU
Generally TU calls for application after the result of Bachelors level which tentatively falls in the Mangsir, Poush and Magh. After Tribhuvan University calls for admission, students should fill up form by submitting their transcript photocopy to the administration. Then after students should sit in the entrance examination and passed students will get admission in the central campus in merit basis.
Entrance preparation for MA economics degree
Generally there is no culture of preparing for entrance by joining different entrance preparation classes. Unlike in the preparation of MBBS, BE, CA etc exam where students admit themselves in different entrance classes, students here in the economics prefer to prepare for entrance examination themselves going through entrance preparation book.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
Economics is very lucrative and demanding subjects nationally and internationally. From government jobs to nongovernmental jobs, from corporate sector to being freelancer, every where there is a need of good economist. Analyzing and predicting market trend, indicating the performance of economy, budget analysis etc is the main work of economics. From pursuing Economics we can have following career prospects:
- By passing MA economics, one can be good economics teacher in various colleges, professor in different universities.
- There is tendency that student who have passed economics has been able to pass public service exam, exams of Rastra bank comparatively with greater ease.
- Demand of Economists are very high in NGO and INGO.
- Renowned international organizations Like ADB, World Bank, IMF etc offer jobs to graduates of economics where you can very dashing salary.
- Every year many students go abroad for further study after pursuing MA economics. So, it is comparatively very helpful for students who are willing to do PhD and other courses.
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.