M.Sc. Physics (Tribhuvan University)
Master of Science in Physics, in short called as M.Sc. Physics is a two year program consisting of four semesters and 60 credit hours. Physics is a very interesting subject which deals with the smallest atom to the vast universe. From billions of galaxies to very minute electrons and protons, from quantum to cosmos, this all comes under study of physics. From knowledge of gravitational law to thermodynamics, from numerous stars to subatomic particle, energy to mass, these are all topics of curiosity to a Physics student. In order to find the scientific answer and solution for all this curiosity, M.Sc. physics course is designed. In this course, students are imparted with the in depth knowledge of theory and practical subject matters of physics.
The M.Sc. physics has been upgraded as per the syllabus of B. Sc. four year programs. Different core and elective courses are taught to students and new areas of study are also explored. Course has been revised and upgraded to meet the minimum international standard.
List of colleges offering TU M.Sc Physics
The lists of colleges offering M.Sc. in TU are as follows:
- St. Xavier's College, Maitighar, Kathmandu
- TU Institute of Science and Technology, Kirtipur, Kathmandu
- Prithvi Narayan Multiple Campus, Pokhara, Kaski
- Golden Gate International College, Battisputali, Kathmandu
- Birendra Multiple Campus, Bharatpur, Chitwan
- Patan Multiple Campus, Patan, Lalitpur
- Mahendra Morang Campus, Biratnagar, Morang
- Amrit Science Campus, Thamel, Kathmandu
The cost of pursuing M. Sc. Physics in TU constituent colleges ranges from Rs.28, 000- Rs.30, 000 per semester. However, the cost of pursuing the program in private colleges is quite higher than that of constituent colleges. Colleges have not provided the fee structure in their official websites. It is wise on the part of aspirants to visit the colleges and take information about the fee structure.
The objective of this program are:
- To provide student up to date knowledge of physics and make them familiarize with the recent trends and development in physics.
- To provide knowledge and proficiency in students about different aspects related to theory, experiment and practical application in physics.
- To develop manpower efficient in conducting research in physics and capable of teaching physics up to master level.
- To produce high level researcher in physics who uses power of physics for the benefit of the living beings by understanding the ethical and moral constraints.
Eligibility for Admission:
The candidates who have passed B. Sc in Physics or equivalent level of degree from Tribhuvan University or universities recognized by TU with same major subjects is qualified for appearing in entrance exam of M. Sc degree.
An applicant willing to pursue M.Sc. degree Physics in TU must appear in entrance exam conducted by Central Department of Physics (CPD). The applicants should also score minimum marks to get admission.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
M. Sc. Physics has greater scope in today's world where science and technology is in its peak. Physics is multi dimensional subject which has very bright prospects today and in days to come. M.Sc. Physics presents very challenging, exciting, productive and multilateral career opportunities. The physics graduates can work as teacher, professor, researcher, scientist and many more. Satellite communication, human scanning, nuclear plant, thermal plant, oil and petroleum, heavy equipment's and electrical etc, are the field where physicists can work. The application of physics is so vast and dynamic that from solving day to day problem of pollution to advance medical diagnosis, it is used everywhere. Moreover, M.Sc. physics is highly valued in advanced countries and graduates of Nepal who have gone abroad have got well response in the developed countries as well.