Bachelor of Arts Bachelor of Laws (Tribhuvan University)
A joint degree, Bachelor of Arts Bachelor of Laws qualifies students to practice law and equip them with analytic and communication skills. The Bachelor of Law furnishes students with a legal education that is not just demanding and rewarding but also persuade them to think differently and find workable and ethical solutions to contemporary legal issues. Whereas, The Bachelor of Arts program furnishes an exceptional liberal arts education, preparing students to meet the demands of the modern workforce, where analytical thinking, logic, creativity, and expertise come to the fore.
The Bachelor of Arts Bachelor of Laws program offered by the Tribhuvan University shall extend over duration of five academic years. The university is offering Bachelor of Arts Bachelor of Laws program since 2010 AD. In total, the program covers sixty-two subjects and out of these sixty-one courses are with credit and the remaining one is non-credit for international student. The teaching strategies comprises of lectures, discussion, seminar, tutorial, case study, workshop etc. Under this program, students need to study Political Science, Comparative Law and Nepalese Legal System, Legal Method, Legal Nepali, History, Procedural Law, Constitutional Law, Media Law among others. In order to be eligible to attend the final examinations, students must have 80% attendance.
List of academic Institutions affiliated with Tribhuvan University offering Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws program in Nepal:
- Nepal Law Campus, located in Exhibition Road, Kathmandu
- Prithivi Narayan Multiple Campus, located in Pokhara
- The National Law College, located in Pulchowk, Lalitpur
Some of the objectives of the Bachelor of Arts Bachelor of Laws degree are listed below:
- To enable students to exhibit effective communication skills.
- To enable students to think logically.
- To enable students to use contemporary technologies effectively and creatively.
- To encourage students to act ethically.
- To enable students to conduct research related to legal issues proficiently.
- To enable students to exhibit an in-depth understanding of the business, accounting, finance and economics.
- To enable students to implement classroom learning to solve the real world problem practically.
In order to be eligible to apply for admission in Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws program, students should have passed +2 level. Applicant needs to face an entrance exam conducted by the university. However, this is not applicable to foreign candidates.
Course of Study
- Political Science
- Sociology and Anthropology
- Legal English
- Legal Nepali
- English (in Lieu of Legal Nepali for Foreigner)
- Legal Method
- Comparative Law and Nepalese Legal System
- Seminar in English
- International Relation and Diplomacy
- Social Work
- Constitutional Law
- Procedural Law
- Optional I- Media Law
- Optional II- Fiscal Law
- Optional III- International Trade law
- Optional IV- Equityand Torts
- Optional V- Law and Social Welfare
- Criminal Law
- Public International Law
- Law of Contract
- Property Law
- Method of Legal Research andWriting
- Law of Evidence
- Clinical Law-I Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Seminar -1
- Optional I- Election Law
- Optional II- International Air and Space Law
- Optional III- Refugeelaw
- Optional IV- Gender and Inclusive Justice
- Optional V- Law, Poverty and Development
- Family Law
- Criminology and Penology
- Taxation Law
- Labour Law
- Moot court, Pre-trial Preparation and Participation in Trial
- Clinical Law-II Litigation Advocacy
- Seminar -II
- Optional I- Socio Economic Crime
- Optional II- ForensicScience
- Optional III- Law of the Sea & International River
- Optional VI- Private International Law
- Optional V- Law of Insurance
Scope and Career Prospects
The Bachelor of Arts Bachelor of Laws degree qualifies graduates to practice legal profession. They can find employment opportunity in private practice, government organizations, corporations, non-government agencies in an array of fields including taxation law, industrial law, criminal law, conveyancing and property law, environmental law, business and commercial law, solicitor or barrister, general legal practice and government agencies in a wide variety of areas.