Bachelor of Audiology Speech Language Pathology (BASLP) (Tribhuvan University)
Bachelor of Audiology and Speech Language Pathology (BASLP) is a four year program of Institute of Medicine (IOM), Tribhuvan University. Audiology is the one of the discipline of medical science that deals with the study of hearing (earshot), balance and other associated illness with the help of advance tools and techniques. And speech language pathology is a discipline of science that deals with the evaluation (assessment), identification (Diagnosis) and healing of speech, language, verbal communication or reasoning, public communication and swallowing disorder problems of kids or adults. This course was introduced with purpose of developing the audiologist and Speech pathologist within the country to treat people having disorders of audio and speech.
List of colleges:
The Maharajgunj Medical Campus is the only campus providing this program in TU.
The fee of BASLP program in IOM for subsidized students is NRS. 234365. For full paid student, the fee is NRS. 601030
The objectives of BASLP are as follows:
- The course intends to provide the students the required knowledge of preventing, identifying, assessing, and habilitating as well as rehabilitating the patients’ speech, language, hearing, balance and swallow.
- The course intends to provide the students the logical and scientific thinking habit, clear expression of thought, rational and independent judgment and capability to gather, analyze and correlate information.
- The course intends to familiarize and associate students with the historical evolution process of the subject matter both within the country and the global spectrum.
- The course intends to develop the student’s skill and competence by peer interaction, contacts with patients and communities they live and by encouraging them to use of active methods related demonstrations and firsthand experience.
The students should have passed I.Sc. or +2 or equivalent degree from science stream by taking major subjects as Zoology, Chemistry, Physics, Botany and English or any proficiency level health science degree of more than two and half year duration from TU or board/ institution/ University recognized by TU.
Students must compulsorily fulfill all the criteria necessary for appearing in the entrance exam.
- Students should appear in entrance exam conducted by IOM.
- The total marks of exam will be 100.
- Physics: 10 marks, Chemistry: 15 marks, Zoology: 15 marks, Botany: 10 marks, General health: 25 marks, specific subjects; 25 marks
- The merit list is published after the entrance exam solely on the basis of entrance exam.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
The audiology and speech language pathology has very promising scopes. People are very worried and are always in search of the professionals who have an ability to cure their hearing and speech problems. Speech and hearing are very sensitive issues and every human being wants that to get rid of the problem related to this. At this scenario, we can be very optimistic about the career prospects of audiologist and speech pathologist. The job outlook of this profession is increasing every single year. They can get jobs in hospitals and nursing homes, child care and orphanage house, old age cares, sports and games related organization, schools and colleges, etc. Not only this, undergraduates can work in the field of research, counseling and super vision. Moreover, they can also pursue higher studies in this field or field related to this. Moreover, this profession has huge scope in the developed countries where they can get good work and salary as well.