Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Tribhuvan University)
Bachelor of Civil Engineering which we generally call BE Civil in short is a four year, 8 semester program of Tribhuvan University. In this program, about fifty core and elective course are offered in the time duration of four year.
Civil engineering comes in the first priority of many students in Nepal. It is a highly professional field which deals with planning, design, construction, repairing and maintenance of various infrastructures. All the physical infrastructures like bridge, road, canals, skyscrapers, etc are constructed and maintained under the supervision of a Civil Engineer. Civil Engineering is slowly and gradually evolving as a techno friendly discipline. Various designing can be done with the help of software and this has made the various time consuming aspects of engineering faster and easier. Technology has changed the working pattern and it has become helpful for young graduates to do their work more precisely and quickly through the use of advanced techniques. Civil Engineering was first introduced by Pulchowk Campus, TU in 1998 and now different colleges also run this program.
List of colleges offering BE Civil in TU:
Some of the best colleges offering BE Civil in TU are given below:
- IOE campus, Lalitpur
- Thapathali Engineering Campus, Kathmandu
- Eastern Regional Campus, Dharan
- Western Regional Campus, Pokhara
- Kantipur Engineering College, Dhapakhel, Lalitpur
- Kathmandu Engineering College, Kalimati, Kathmandu
- National Engineering College, Talchikhel , Lalitpur
- Advanced College of Engineering and Management, Kupondole, Lalitpur
- Himalaya College of Engineering, Shankhamul, Lalitpur
- Kathford College of Engineering and Management,Balkumari, Lalitpur
- Sagarmatha Engineering College, Sanepa, Lalitpur
The Pulchowk Engineering Campus provides scholarship to 228 deserving students as per merit list and 204 students have to pay full fee. However, other affiliated colleges of Pulchowk Campus (TU) provide full and partial scholarship as per the rule and their capacity. Most of the colleges offering Civil engineering have not mentioned the fee structure in their website. But it can be estimated that it cost about Rs. 8 to 12 lakhs for pursuing Civil Engineering. The cost of government colleges like Thapathali Engineering Campus, are lesser than that of private colleges. For detail information, once should visit college and understand the fee structure.
The core objectives of BE Civil are as follows:
- Graduates will be prepared with the strong foundation in subjects like mathematics, science and technical subjects which is crucial in analyzing and designing the civil infrastructure system.
- Graduates will have very efficient oral and written communication skill needed for their real life.
- Graduates will be made acquainted with current and emerging issues of civil engineering globally without undermining the moral and ethical responsibility towards the society.
- Graduates will have the capability to take the engineering license and passion of engaging in lifelong learning.
- Graduates will have necessary qualification for getting employed in Civil Engineering and related profession, for further study in this discipline and for taking entrepreneurial role in long run.
Entrance exam is carried out by being in line with entrance exam syllabus published by IOE in 5 different subjects which are English- 22 marks, Mathematics- 40 marks, Physics- 40 marks, Chemistry- 20 marks and Engineering Aptitude- 18 marks. The exam is of 2 hours taken in the computerized system (Students should sit in front of computers and click the right answer) and there are 100 questions with 140 full marks asked in the objective format. The wrong answer may result in deduction of 10% of total marks carried by each question.
In order to get enrolled in top engineering colleges, one should have good rank in entrance exam conducted by IOE. It is not that easy to get good marks in BE entrance without having comprehensive preparation. So, in order have your name in upper place in merit list and secure your place in the top colleges, entrance exam preparation classes is very helpful and supplementary for your study. The 2- 3 months course costs about Rs. 15-18 thousand. Some of best institutes for entrance preparation are PEA, KEI, and NAEE etc.
- The students who have done I. Sc or 10+2 (physical group or Biological group with 200 marks mathematics) or diploma in engineering or equivalent courses from any board or university recognized by TU can be eligible for appearing in entrance exam provided that he also has at least 45% marks in intermediate level.
- The students who have passed entrance examination conducted by Institute of Engineering, Pulchowk are eligible for admission in different constituent colleges of TU as per merit list.
- Merit list is totally based on the entrance exam marks. And the marks obtained in plus two is not added there.
Course of Study
- Engineering Mathematics I
- Computer Programming
- Engineering Drawing I
- Engineering Chemistry
- Fundamental of Thermodynamics & Heat transfe
- Workshop Technology
- Engineering Mathematics II
- Engineering Drawing II
- Basic Electronics Engineering
- Engineering Physics
- Applied Mechanics
- Basic Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Mathematics III
- Applied Mechanics (Dynamics)
- Strength of Materials
- Engineering Geology - I
- Fluid Mechanics
- Surveying - I
- Civil Engineering Materials
- Theory of Structure - I
- Surveying - II
- Soil Mechanics
- Probability and Statistics
- Building Drawing
- Numerical Methods
- Theory of Structure II
- Foundation Engineering
- Survey Camp
- Engineering Hydrology
- Water Supply Engineering
- Concrete Technology and Masonry Structures
- Communication English
- Design ofSteel and Timber Structure
- Building Technology
- Engineering Economics
- Sanitary Engineering
- TransportationEngineering I
- Irrigation and Drainage Engineering
- Project Engineering
- Design of RCC Structure
- Transportation Engineering II
- Hydropower Engineering
- Estimating and Costing
- Elective I
- Project (Part I)
- Computational Techniques in Civil Engineering
- Engineering Professional Practice
- Technology Environment and Society
- Construction Management
- Project (Part II)
- Elective II
- Elective III
Scope and Career Prospects
The market of Civil engineering is very huge and vast providing tremendous scope to the graduates. The civil engineering professionals’ deals with various task like planning, supervision, designing, construction and maintenance of public roads, buildings, canals, tunnels, bridge, apartments etc. This engineering provides multidimensional career opportunity with good salary. They can excel in various technical areas related to environment, water resource, flood management, geo technical, transport structuring, and highway designing etc. Moreover, demands of Civil engineers are also very high in foreign countries where engineers can pursue descent career with handsome salary. Some of the fields where civil engineers can work are:
- Firms related to designing and development.
- Different NGO/ INGO's
- Engineering consultancy related to civil engineering.
- Various construction companies specializing on hydropower, drainage, tunnels, transport etc.
- Different government agencies, civil service etc
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.