Bachelor of Dental Surgery (Tribhuvan University)
Tribhuvan University offers a dynamic bachelor's course in the field of science which is termed as Bachelor of Dental Surgery. This course lasts for about 4 and a half years in total which is about 9 full semesters. This course comes under the faculty of Medical and Allied Sciences.
This program has three main elements: Integrated Basic Medical Science, Clinical Medical Science and Clinical Dental Science. Amid initial 2 years of the program, students learn pre-clinical laboratory techniques and the dental Material Science Community Dentistry. In the latter two years, they will be presented to the clinical dentistry that deals with multiple dental medical issues from the fundamental perspective.
Currently, the BDS course is offered in the following colleges, affiliated to Tribhuvan University:
- Universal College of Medical Sciences: Nawalparasi
- People's Dental College and Hospital: Kathmandu
- M.B. Kedia Dental College: Parsa
- KIST Medical College: Lalitpur
Upon completion of BDS program, the Dental Graduate ought to have the capacity to:
- Show the comprehension of principles & routine of modem dentistry with a top to bottom knowledge of functions and structure of human body, ordinary and in maladies.
- Continue dental instruction projects and research.
- Exhibit a comprehension of contemporary knowledge and skills.
- Have a characteristics of socially responsible individual.
- Release work duties with concern and care.
- Recognize regular dental medical issues, oversee them at first, ask conclusion from seniors or allude to suitable health institution when necessary.
- Give instruction to individuals on oral health.
- Take part in vaccination and dental health programs & in health camps.
- Give due care to youngsters, ladies and senior citizens.
Qualification Criteria for Affirmation:
- Age: Competitor's age must be least of 17 years and greatest of 25 years.
- Transitional in Science or proportionate capability from colleges perceived by the Tribhuvan University inside or outside Nepal with Material science, Chemistry, Biology and English as primary subjects, or Ten In addition to Two(10+2) with the central subjects said above.
- The choice of understudies will be done on the legitimacy premise in the aggressive selection test directed by Institute of Medicine (T.U.).
- Zoology: 30
- Natural science: 20
- Science: 30
- Material science: 20
Foreign Students are not necessarily required to appear for the entrance exam. They ought to secure no less than half total marks (with subjects such as Physics,Chemistry,English and Science).
Course of Study
- Integrated Basic Medical Sciences (Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pathology and Pharmacology)
- General concepts
- Neuro-Sensory system
- Musculo-Skeletal system
- Dental Material Science
- Laboratory Techniques (Conservation, Prosthetics and Orthodontics)
- Community Dentistry 1 (Behavioral Science and Computer Application)
- Respiratory system
- Cardiovascular system
- Gastrointestinal system
- Renal electrolyte system
- Reproductive system
- Metabolic/Endocrine system
- Oral Anatomy
- Laboratory Techniques (Operative, Prosthetics and Orthodontics)
- Community Dentistry-2 (Epidemiology and Biostatistics)
- Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology
- General Medicine
- General Surgery including Anaesthesia
- Forensic Dentistry
- Phase I- community Dentistry
- Phase I- Preventive Dentistry and Field Visit
- Phase I- Orthodontics
- Phase I- Paediatric Dentistry
- Phase I- Oral Medicine including imaging
- Phase II (6 months)1- Oral Surgery
- Phase II (6 months)2- Periodontics
- Phase II (6 months)3- Prosthodontics
- Phase II (6 months)4- Conservative dentistry including Endodontics
Scope and Career Prospects
Students with BDS degree have multiple opportunities in Dentistry. Graduates can find a job in a dental department in government and private hospitals and dental treatments centers. They can as well work in teaching department in the related field. One has the option to establish a private dental clinic too. Other than this, graduates with this degree can easily find works in Pharmaceutical companies.
Seen from the context of Nepal, a dentist can make a good amount of money by working in a research center, nursing homes, and dental clinics. They can run their own dental clinic where they can demand five hundred rupees or more as a consultant charge. Depending on the situation, the cosmetic fillings cost from eight hundred rupees to forty thousand rupees. A trained and skilled dentist can earn from thirty-thousand to one lakh twenty thousand per month.