Bachelor of Pharmacy (Tribhuvan University)
Bachelor of Pharmacy is a four year program of Tribhuvan University under the Institute of Medicine (IOM). This course was introduced in TU from 2000 AD. The course is designed with aim of producing highly qualified pharmacists having ability to render the service in the capacity and position of community and hospital pharmacists, specialists in technology and research, managers of pharmaceutical services and specialists in various scientific aspects of pharmacy. The curriculum of Bachelor in Pharmacy provides in depth knowledge of the subject matter and the course is as competent as the course of other universities. Students have to go through seven papers in first year and the total hours allocated for it is 1295 combining theory and practical both. Second year consists of six papers and the time allocated for it is 1260 hours including theory and practical. Likewise, in third year students should read seven theory papers and time distributed for both theory and practical is 1120 hours. The four theory paper and its corresponding practical are allocated 700 hours in fourth year. Beside this, the fourth year consists of thesis for which three month of time is provided and another 2 and half month is given for plant training to the graduates.
List of colleges:
Some of the names of the colleges providing B. Pharmacy in TU are as follows:
- Institute of Medicine, Mahargunj, Kathmandu
- National Model College (NIST), Nayabazar , Kathmadu
- Sunnsari Technical College, Dharan
- Janamaitri Foundation Institutes of Health Science , Balaju, Kathmandu
- Universal College of Medical Science, Bhairahawa,
- Manamohan Memorial College of Health Science, Nakkhu , Kathmandu
- Chitwan School of Medical Science,Chitwan
The cost of studying B. Pharmacy in IOM is Rs. 2, 30,765 for subsidized student and Rs. 6, 01,030 for full paying student. The fee structure may vary in private colleges and is quite costlier than that of IOM.
The objectives of the Bachelor of Pharmacy are as follows:
- The graduates will be able to exhibit the capacity to work individually and in multi-specialized health care team and bring the knowledge and skill acquired into practice very effectively.
- The graduates will be able to communicate the drug and medication information to doctors, health professional and ordinary people and also plan, manage, assess and extend the retail and wholesale industries working in the field of pharmacy.
- The graduates will be able to adeptly handle administration, patient counseling, procurement, drug storage, planning and small/large scale manufacturing and manage hospital pharmacy along with the knowledge of drug quality assessment.
- The graduates will be able to work as the team member in research projects and have passion and motivation in further educational attainment and professional development in the field of pharmacy.
The candidates willing to join B. Pharmacy must follow certain criteria:
- He/ She should have passed certificate in Pharmacy from IOM or University recognized by TU. OR,
- He/ She should have passed I.Sc. Or 10+2 (Biological Group) or equivalent degree from board/ Institution/ University recognized by TU.
- He/ She should have secured at least 50% marks in I.Sc. Or 10+2 or Certificate in Pharmacy or equivalent.
- Students from I.Sc. and 10+2 science background should not cross 25 years of age. No age bar for Certificate in Pharmacy students.
- Student must compulsorily pass entrance exam.
- The exam consists of single paper with total of 100 marks which includes Zoology, Botany, Chemistry and Physics.
- The merit list is published after the entrance exam.
Course of Study
- Human Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology
- Chemistry I
- Chemistry II
- Pharmacognosy I
- Maths, Stat and Research Methodology
- Social Pharmacy
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- Pharmaceutics I (Physical Pharmacy)
- Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapeutics I
- Biopharmaceutics, Pharmacokinetics andPharmacodynamics
- Pharmacognosy II
- Medicinal Chemistry I
- Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapeutics II
- Enterpreneurship and Pharmacoeconomics
- Pharmaceutics II (Various Dosage Forms and Formulation)
- Pharmaceutics III (Industrial Pharmacy)
- Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Assurance I
- Medicinal Chemistry II
- Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence
- Pharmaceutical Engineering and Drawing
- Clinical and Hospital Pharmacy
- Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Assurance II
- Ayurvedic Pharmacy
Scope and Career Prospects
In today's world we cannot imagine our life without medicines. This volatile body is attacked by various disease and we have to intake various life saving drugs. The good composition of elements in medicine is very vital in curing the disease. So, from the above sentences also, we can imagine how important the field related to pharmacy is. In the field of pharmacy, the graduates can work as production manager, marketing manager and quality control manager. They can also work in the various positions in the pharmacy of hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, etc. Pharmaceuticals industries are multi billion dollar industries where graduates can work in various positions earning good salary. They can also make the career in reputed international organization working in the field of health care as an advocator or specialist and many other lucrative positions. They can also work as drug assessment officer, GMP superintendent, manufacturing practitioner, communication officer, and supervisor etc in the field of pharmacy. Moreover, students can also work in academia, research institutes, NGO/ INGO's in the field of health care and pharmacy. Apart from this, the graduates have very huge scopes in the developed countries where graduates can continue their further studies along with money-spinning jobs.
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.