Bachelor of Travel and Tourism Management (Tribhuvan University)
BTTM which stands for Bachelors of Travel and Tourism Management is a 4 year course of Tribhuvan University. The course consists of 126 credit hours and is taught over the period of eight semesters. The course was designed with purpose of producing first and middle level tourism management professionals in the country. There is no doubt that our country Nepal is the paradise on earth. Various international journals and magazines have kept Nepal at number one tourist destination. This clearly demonstrates how much tourism is important to Nepal. So, we can easily come to the conclusions that travel and tourism related subjects have huge potential in Nepal. Out of many courses, BTTM comes in the priority of many because it covers wide range of topics needed to be pioneering tourism professional.
List of BTTM colleges in Nepal:
Some of the Top colleges that are offering BTTM in TU are:
1. Nepal College of Travel and Tourism Management, Gausala, Kathmandu
2. Public Youth Campus, Chettrapatti, Kathmandu
3. Nepal Academy of Tourism and Hotel Management, Kalimati, Kathmandu
4. Kathmandu Model College, Kathmandu
Fee structure of BTTM in Nepal:
The fee structure of BTTM is not that high compared to other courses. The fee structure ranges from Rs. 1, 50,000 to Rs. 2, 50,000. For complete fee information, one can visit the official website of the colleges or can contact the administration.
To produce first and middle level management professionals to serve in travel and tourism industry both at the public and private sectors, Tribhuvan University runs BTTM program. The aims of the program are:
- Increase an understanding of travel and tourism industry and its operations both theoretically and practically
- Able to understand and appreciate the need and functions of tourism marketing, tourism development planning, measurement and management
- Improve as sustainable personality to match the required professional demand of the tourism sector
- Handle functions of international tourist service operations including handling, managing and planning tour trek and rafting programs and handling domestic and international air ticketing and reservations
- Follow further studies in travel and tourism
- Comprehend the management and operation of travel and tourism industry from theoretical and practical perspective.
- Gain knowledge towards handling of international tourist service operations along with handling, managing and planning tour trek and rafting programs and handling domestic and international air ticketing and reservation.
- Help students in pursuing their further study in travel and tourism sector.
- Develop a very sound personality that match the standard of travel and tourism industry.
- Understand the functioning of tourism marketing, tourism development planning and tourism management.
The candidates willing to apply for BTTM course must fulfill following requirements:
1. He/ She should have successfully completed the intermediate level (10+2) or equivalent with at least second division in any stream or equivalent from any University/ Board/ Institution recognized by Tribhuvan University (TU).
2. Must have English as a full paper (200 marks) at 10+2 or equivalent.
3. Should follow all the requirements needed while fulfilling entrance exam form.
Candidates should appear for Central Management Admission Test (CMAT) conducted by Tribhuvan University, Faculty of Management. The exam consist of four types of question which are Verbal Testing, Logical reasoning, General Knowledge and Quantitative Ability. The students need to score at least 40% marks to be able to pass and be selected for group discussion and interview. After group discussion and interview is taken, the students get chance to be admitted in different college as per the merit list. The merit list is prepared by adding 50% of CMAT, 30% of plus two or equivalent, 10% of group discussion and 10% of interview.
Course of Study
- Fundamentals of Travel and Tourism Management
- Tourism Economics(Micro/Macro)
- Principles of Management
- Computer and Information Technology
- Business Communication
- Travel Service Operations Management –I
- Tourism in Nepal
- Tourism and Hospitality Accounting
- Hospitality Operations and Management
- Business Finance
- Travel Service Operations Management-II
- Air Travel Operations
- Tourism Marketing
- Human Resource Management for Tourism
- Culture and Social Psychology for Tourism
- Destination Development Management
- Entrepreneurship in Travel and Tourism
- Sustainable Tourism Development
- Airlines Ticketing GDS
- Tourism geography
- Tour Guiding and Escorting Skills
- Adventure Tourism
- Tourism Planning and Policies
- Air Cargo Management
- Nepalese Society and Politics
- Event Management (Office Tourism)
- Industrial Attachment(6 month in Travel
- agent/Trekking Agency/Airlines)
- Project report
- Tourism Legislation
- Strategic Management for Travel and Tourism
- Culture heritage and Religion Tourism
- Elective –I
- Elective –II
- Tourism and Aviation(Elective)
- Tourism for Peace and Progress(Elective)
- Pilgrimage and Religious Tourism(Elective)
- Airlines Operation Management(Elective)
- Visitor Management(Elective)
- Food and Beverage Service(Elective)
Scope and Career Prospects
Once you get the degree of BTTM, you are exposed to wide range of jobs. The jobs related to travel and tourism is at your doorsteps. You can work at governmental or nongovernmental jobs; private or public sector or even you can sit and start your own ventures related to travel and tourism. Not only can this, you can be a good teacher or you can pursue your further study after the completion of BTTM in the country or abroad. Some of the jobs you opt to work as BTTM are as follows:
- Tour officer
- Reservation officer/ agent
- Ticketing Officer
- Sales Officer
- Travel Manager
- Customer service officer
- Managerial position at different travel and tours companies etc
Not only these, there are several other jobs which you can pursue after being BTTM graduates.