Bachelor of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry (Tribhuvan University)
Veterinary Science is the science that deals with the causes, identification (diagnosis), treatment and healing of the different sort of diseases in birds and animals. The topic generally includes the learning of animal physiology and garnering ideas for treating, curing as well as preventing diseases among animals. The basic principles of veterinary science are similar to that of medical science. On other hand, animal husbandry is concerned with the study of breeding, rearing and caring of farm animals.
Bachelor of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry (B.V.Sc & A.H.) is a program run by Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science, Tribhuvan University (TU). The B.V.Sc. & A.H. is a 5 year program spreading over 10 semesters. The total course is of 221 credit hours. Up to ninth semester, students are given comprehensive knowledge of theoretical, practical and technical aspects of veterinary clinical sciences, animal breeding, livestock production, management etc.In the10th semester, to make student fully acquainted with real life experience, there is a compulsory provision of internship.
List of colleges:
Some of the colleges offering B.V.Sc & A.H. in TU are as follows:
- Paklihawa Campus, Bhairahawa
- Rampur Campus, Chitwan
The detail fee structure can be known from the college concerned.
The objectives of B.V.Sc & A.H are as follows;
- The course intends to endow opportunity for the students to gain expertise for getting employment as a specialist of veterinary medicine and animal husbandry.
- The course aims to prepare qualified and efficient graduate students capable of working and uplifting the livestock industry and contribute in economic development and growth of the sector.
- The course intends to generate passion in students to continue their further study and research in the field of veterinary science and animal husbandry and continue the professional development.
- The course aims to help student understand and realize the need of groundwork, devotion, consistency and loyalty that are vital for professional success in the field of veterinary science and animal husbandry.
He/ She should have passed proficiency level (plus two or I.Sc.) in science stream from TU or University/ board/ Institution accepted by TU. Or
He/ She should have studied I.Sc. Ag. with at least 100 full marks English, Biology, Chemistry and at least 50 full marks Math and Physics with 50% in aggregate.
- Entrance exam comprises of Multiple Choice Objective Type questions.The questions are asked from English (25), Chemistry (25), Physics (25), Botany (25), Mathematics (25), Zoology(25), General Science (Agriculture Science/Animal Health Science) (10).
- The time duration for exam is of 2 hours.
- The full marks is of 160
- The merit list is prepared based on the marks of entrance exam.
Course of Study
- Gross Anatomy-I
- Gross Anatomy-II
- General Biochemistry
- Cattle and Buffalo Production
- Principles and Practices of Fodder Production
- Principles of Economics
- Rural Sociology
- Work Experience Program
- Gross Anatomy-III
- General Histology & Embryology
- Physiological Chemistry
- Sheep and Goat Production (LPM II)
- Principles of Animal Nutrition
- Wildlife, Bee and Pet Animal Management
- Farm Management, Production Economics and Planning
- Work Experience Program
- Systemic Histology
- General Pathology
- Applied Animal Nutrition-I
- Pig and Poultry Production
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Principle of Genetics and Animal Breeding
- Introductory Icthiology
- General and CNS Pharmacology
- Systemic Pathology
- Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology
- Applied Animal Nutrition II
- Principle and Practices of Pasture Management
- Principles of Aquaculture
- Agricultural Statistics
- Environmental Hygiene
- Computer Application I
- Autonomic and Systemic Pharmacology
- Fundamentals of Agricultural Extension
- Physiology - IV
- Applied Anatomy
- Special Pathology
- Animal Product Technology
- Agricultural Communication
- Poultry Pathology & Oncology
- Internal Medicine-I
- Clinical Practice-I
- Selection & Mating System
- Social Mobilization and Community Development
- Agribusiness Management, Marketing and Cooperatives
- General Surgery & Anaesthesiology
- Internal Medicine-II
- Preventive Medicine-I
- Clinical Practices-II
- Fish Diseases
- Agricultural Project Planning
- Introduction to Dairy Science
- Regional and Clinical Surgery-I
- Internal Medicine-III
- Preventive Medicine-II
- Clinical Practices-III
- Clinical Conference I
- Applied Human Nutrition
- Meat Inspection and Abbatoir Practices
Scope and Career Prospects
The B.V.Sc & A.H offers wide range of job avenues for the graduates. The demand of veterinary graduates is increasing promisingly. The job profile of a veterinary doctor and animal husbandry specialist is not less than that of physician and surgeon. People have become very cautious of animal health and danger posed by the sick animals. Moreover, animal right issues and rise in people’s interest in taming animals have increased the demand of the vet doctors. The graduatescan work in government departments related to animal husbandry, poultry and dairy farms, animal rearing and breeding farm, goat and sheep farms, pig and buffalo farms, cow and horse farms, private and government veterinary hospitals and clinics. They can also work in wildlife reserves and conservation area, zoological park and aviaries, pharmaceuticals companies working in the field of animal, animal food manufacturing industries, research institutes, army and security forces, etc. Not only in their own country, graduates do have good career prospects internationally.