B.Sc. Physics (Tribhuvan University)
Bachelors of Science in Physics is a 4 year annual degree program awarded by the Institute of Science and Technology, Tribhuvan University and its constituent campuses. The duration of the degree program was changed from the previously 3 year to 4 year form the year 2069 BS (2012 A.D). Physics deals with the study of physical properties of the universe ranging from smallest subatomic particles to the biggest faraway galaxies. It is the study of time, matter, energy, space, atoms and the interaction between them to figure out the most fundamental and basic principle of the existence of our universe. Physics is crucial in understanding the makings of our world and the world far beyond us too.
Colleges offering B.Sc. Physics education in Nepal:
There are governments as well as some private colleges are offering Bachelors in Physics. The government institutions are as follows:
- Amrit Science Campus(ASCOL), Lainchaur
- Tri-Chandra Multiple Campus, Ghantaghar
- Birat Science Campus, Biratnagar, Morang
- Makwanpur Multiple Campus, Hetauda-2, Makwanpur
- Central Campus of Technology, Dharan, Sunsari
- Damak Multiple Campus, Damak, Jhapa
Private institutions offering B.Sc. in Physics are noted below:
- Golden Gate International College, Old Baneshwor, Battisputali
- Khwopa College, Dekocha- 5, Bhaktapur
- DAV College, Jawalakhel, Lalitpur
- St. Xavier College,Jawalakhel, Lalitpur
The cost of attendance (total fees) depend upon whether it is a government college or private. The private colleges are costly in comparison to government colleges.
- To demonstrate the competency of knowledge on the most basic laws of physics
- To demonstrate critical thinking skills to pursue higher level careers in research in academic institutions and other industries for wider application of physical principles
- To demonstrate skills to challenge the existing theories and quantitative models, refine and develop new models through observations and experiments
- To prepare the graduates to pursue MSc and Doctoral degrees around the globe in top research universities
- To develop analytical thinking skills, technical skills and be equally well versed in the practical use of the lab and the research facilities
The eligibility requirements for the candidates seeking admission at Tribhuvan University and its constituent campuses are as follows:
- The candidate must have completed the 12(10+2) years of formal education with at least second division.
- The candidate must clearly mention about physical group or biology group according to their preference and eligibility on the application form. (Note: Forms are different for physical and Biology Group)
- The candidate must appear the entrance exam conducted by the Office of Dean, IoST (Institute of Science and Technology) and must pass the exam.
Students who have passed the grade 11 exam and waiting for chance exam result of grade 12 are also eligible to fill the application form and get admission provided that they will submit pass marksheet of +2 before the results of the entrance examination come out.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
The advantageous thing about studying physics is that you can pursue a career in diverse range of fields. Physics has wide range of applications in the practical field of many disciplines. The bachelors in physics lay the groundwork for students to pursue master’s degree and PHD and have careers in research and academia. Physics graduates can have career in vast ranging sectors, some of which are noted below:
Careers as research scientist- research field might include astrophysics, particle physics, Nano technology, aerospace, dynamic physics, applied physics, theoretical physics, experimental physics and so many more.
- Space careers as an Astronaut
- Health care industry within areas of radiation, nuclear medicine and building medical technologies alongside biomedical engineers
- Engineering careers in manufacturing based industries
- Energy sector as experts in extracting fossil fuels and developing cost effective ways to create renewable energy
- Geophysicist and meteorological career
- Technology careers in fields of robotics, nanotech, virtual reality etc.
- Educators of physics in school and college level
But in Nepal, Physcis graduates mostly have teaching careers at the numerous educational institutions and most of the BSc. Physics graduates go on to pursue master’s degree so they can have better opportunities all around the globe.