MA English (Tribhuvan University)
MA English is a two year, four semester program of Tribhuvan University in Central Department of English. But, it is conducted as a two year program in other constituent and affiliated campus taking exam at the end of every academic year. Large students get enrolled in major English every year making it one of the most taught subjects in humanities and social science. The core philosophy of the course is same whether it is yearly or semester but there may be the difference in the timing of teaching. In semester, the students have to appear in exam every 6 months so the course is designed accordingly. The course unfolds wide range of areas from history of literature to drama, poetry to novel, critical thinking to linguistics, etc.
Not much should be taught about English language and its application and importance. Most of us are familiar with it. English language has been of the most dominant language and is spoken all over the world. It is international language. Most of the powerful and developed countries like America, England, Canada, Australia, etc are the native speaker of English. So, students with good command of writing, listening and speaking can flourish to his fullest.
List of colleges offering M.A. in English are:
- Padma Kanya Multiple Campus, Bagbazar, Kathmandu
- Hari Khetan Multiple Campus, Alakhiya road, Kathmandu
- Kathmandu Model College, Bagbazar, Kathmandu
- Campion College, Kupondole, lalitpur
- Golden Gate International College, Battisputali, Kathmandu
- Universal College, Maitidevi, Kathmandu
- Janapriya Multiple Campus, Pokhara,
- Birendra Multiple Campus, Bharatpur, Kathmandu
- Dillibazar Kanya Multiple Campus, Dillibazar, Kathmandu
- Patan Multiple Campus, Lalitpur,
- Prithvi Narayan Multiple Campus, Pokhara, Kathmandu
The fee for studying MA English in Central Department of English in TU comes around Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 60,000. Per semester fee comes around Rs. 14,000 to Rs. 15,000. However, fee structure is subject to change every year. The fee structure of yearly system is lesser compared to semester system.
The objectives of MA English are as follows:
- The students will get an opportunity to gain wide range of knowledge and ideas theories, methods, research protocols, and intellectual practices that are indispensable for strong research, teaching, and service in the field of English.
- The students will have an opportunity to get exposed to the comprehensive knowledge of the literature in their chosen area of interest or research focus.
- The students will have an opportunity to learn in designing and carrying out original and credible research in English literature with particular attention to their chosen areas of interest or research focus.
- The students will have an opportunity to learn in producing original study and demonstrate a talent to define and identify projects and conduct research independently.
- He/ she should have passed Bachelor’s level by securing at least 45% score from TU or equivalent level from the university recognized by the Curriculum Development Centre, Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur
- The students having Bachelor degree in any stream can also join MA English by fulfilling all the required criteria.
- He should compulsory attain entrance exam by himself to get admission in Central Department of English.
- The questions are objective type.
- The merit list is published by calculating the marks of entrance exam.
- In yearly academic system, there is no provision of entrance.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
The name, fame and money that literature and its artistic exploitation bestow are phenomenal. There is rarely any field where English is not used. It has become universal, influencing the life of many people. As an English graduates one is exposed to tremendous job opportunities. One can work as writer, researcher, journalist, content writer, teacher, lectures, administrator, editors, TV anchor, translator, communication officer, supervisor, etc. A graduates with good command of English language can work in international organizations, INGO's, NGO's, government departments, etc. Good written English is a treasure, which is applicable and saleable everywhere throughout the world. One can sit at home, write stories and poems as a freelancer and earn decent payment. Graduates having an ability to play with words can earn good job and attractive salary without any doubt. From nursery to master level, there is need of English language. The graduates with degree in English have huge career prospects all over the world.