Master of Dental Surgery (Tribhuvan University)
Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) is a three year program of BPKIHS, Dharan. There are different specializations on MDS and out of them BPKHIS provides MDS in Conservative Dentistry, Periodontology and Oral Implantology, Orthodontics, Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry, Prosthodontics, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Public Health Dentistry and Oral Medicine & Radiology. The program is prepared to attain knowledge and skill in theoretical, practical, clinical and laboratory aspects of dental surgery and also to develop the attitude, communicative skills and ability to research with understanding of social, cultural, educational and environmental background of the society. Moreover, the course also guides the residents in the fulfilling the curriculum goals by discussions, clinical and laboratory postings, seminars, thesis, library dissertations, journal clubs, participation in national and international conferences and workshops, educational activities. MDS program is very limited in number in BPKIHS. Only few undergraduates are enrolled every year for MDS program.
List of colleges:
BPKIHS is itself providing this program.
The Junior Resident (Nepali Nationals) shall pay the fees as follows:
- Registration Rs. 10,000/- per year
- Library Fee Rs. 8,000/- per year
- Laboratory Fee Rs. 6,000/- per year
- Student welfare fund Rs. 3,150/- per year
- Examination Fee Rs. 12,000/- per year Supplementary Exam Fee (In case failure) Rs.12,000/- per attempt
- Thesis Evaluation Fee Rs. 30,000/- one time
- Deposits (Refundable) (Library, Laboratory, etc.) Rs.20,000/- one time
- Health Welfare Scheme Charge (This may vary annually according to the Insurance Policy) Rs. 1,600/- per year
- Nepal Medical Council Fee Rs. 5000/- one time
- Life Insurance (Covering a sum of Rs. 5,00,000/-) Rs. 1500/- per year
The objectives of MDS program are as follows:
- To produce highly trained and dedicated professionals enriched with service oriented attitude, knowledge, skills, morality and ethics in the field of dental surgery.
- To develop qualitative and efficient community-oriented doctors and specialists having ability to contribute in fulfilling the dental health care policy of government.
- To produce qualitative doctors having ability to conduct research work with boarder concept in the various branches of MDS.
- To produce doctors having cognitive and intellectual knowledge and skills for managing the patients and giving them efficient and quicker treatment with economy.
- The candidates who have passed BDS and who have completed one year of internship from BPKIHS or equivalent degree from BPKIHS or University recognized by BPKIHS are eligible for MDS program.
- The candidates must be registered with the Nepal Medical Council (NMC).
- One year of work experience for open candidates and two years of work experience for government sponsored (different categorizes), in institutions recognized by BPKIHS after temporary/ permanent registration with the NMC (proof is required) on or before time given by BPKIHS.
- Students have to sit in entrance exam.
- Total marks: 200, Total Questions: 200 multiple choice questions. Time duration: 3 hours
- Students must secure at least 40% in entrance exam called cut off marks.
- Students securing cut off marks in entrance are called for counseling based on the merit list.
- Merit list is published out of 205 marks i.e. 200 for entrance and 5 marks for service.
- Students on the top of merit list are given priority to choose the discipline in MDS.
- Students should furnish all the documents; fulfill all the criteria and procedure required for getting admission in the MDS program.
- Provision is a little different for international students.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
The role of medical science is very vital in the life of human beings. Each and every field of medical science is very important and MDS is no exception. Everybody wants cleaner, healthier and attractive teeth. As MDS graduates, they can work in various hospitals, clinics, caring home, dental care homes, etc, treating patients as the dentist. The graduates can work in various NGO/INGO's, international organizations, government departments, etc earning good salary. People are becoming more cautious about their health and beauty, so the graduates should not worry about the jobs. Moreover, the interested graduates can also work as the researchers researching in different aspects of dental science. Moreover, along with service the graduates can work as the teachers, lectures and professors teaching in universities and colleges reacted to health science. Moreover, the medical graduates are highly appreciated in foreign countries providing them work and decent salary.