Master of Laws (Tribhuvan University)
Master of law is a two year program of Faculty of Law, Tribhuvan University. It was introduced by faculty of law in the year 1997 A.D. from Nepal law Campus. This course was designed with the view of providing higher qualification to the aspirants. Furthermore, this program envisions providing excellence in the field of law with the help of jurists, scholars and lawyers having national and international stature. The curriculum of two year is very vast and interesting covering wide range of areas. In first year, there are three compulsory subjects and students have to choose one in between six optional subjects. Same holds true in case of second year. Second year consists of thesis writing as well. These optional subjects can be called as specialized subjects. The six optional subjects are constitutional law, commercial law, international law, criminal law, environmental law and refugee law. Each subject be it compulsory or optional has 100 marks and the course complete duration is 125 period per year.
List of colleges:
There are two colleges in TU to provide Master of Law. The name of colleges re given below:
- Nepal Law Campus, Pradarshni Marga, Kathmandu
- National Law College, Pulchowk, Kathmandu
The fee structure can be known from the college administration.
The main objective of the Master of Law:
- The course intends to develop law graduates who have ability to learn, analyze and research in various topics of law at their own individual effort.
- The course intends to generate graduates who have proficiency and knowledge to advocate at international level in the English language.
- The course aims to generate law professional having specialization in business and corporate law and having academic and working capability in the public and private sector.
- The course intends to develop law professional having goods moral, ethics and values and who can understand their importance as lawyer in imparting good message in the society, community and country.
- The students aspiring to join LLM (Master of Law) must have passed Bachelor in Law from TU or university recognized by TU.
- 14 seats are reserved in this program, Women-3 seats, Indigenous nationalities-3 seats, Madhesi-2 seats, Dalit-1 seat, Disabilities-1 seat, Foreign nationals-3 seat, and backward areas-1 seat.
- Must fulfill the entire requirement needed for the entrance exam.
- The candidates willing to get admission in LLM should face entrance exam except foreigners.
- The language of entrance exam is optional i.e. one can choose either English or Nepali.
- Jurisprudence of Bachelor of Laws (BL) is considered as the syllabus for LL.M. entrance exam.
- Full marks: 100: Time: 3 hours
- Objective: 50 marks, Time: 50 minutes
- Subjective: 50 marks (Long answer question: 1*20, short question: 2*10, short notes: 2*5, time: 2 hour 10 minutes.
- The merit list is published by considering the marks obtained in entrance exam.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
Law and order is one of the most important perquisites in the life of human beings and for the prosperity of the nation. Today's world is full of chaos, violence and inequality. Powerful and dominance have become the mantra of every human beings. In order to prove the thing in one’s favor people should win the case from the court of Law. So, in each step people need lawyer to advocate in favor of their interest. The law graduates have very high demand in nationally and internationally. Law graduates can open the firm and start advocating. There are so many corporate house and big industries which hires lawyers to settle disputes. One can work as teacher, researcher, journalist, TV anchor, legal analyst, legal adviser, etc. by pursuing law. Each and every government organizations, constitutional bodies, etc need lawyer. Most of the public personality hires lawyer. One can reach to the position of judge and Chief justice through law study. The lawyer who has command in English language can have huge career nationally and internationally. A good lawyer has boundless opportunity everywhere and can live the life of a celebrity.