Master of Public Administration (Tribhuvan University)
Master of Public Administration (MPA) is a two year program of Faculty of management, Tribhuvan University. This course is run under semester from 2015 in Tribhuvan University. Initially, public administration course was introduced as a one year course with the aim of providing training to second class gazetted officers of then HMG under Center for Economic and Development (CEDA).However, full phase Master of Public Administration was introduced in 1979 and the Central Department of Public Administration was established in 1986. But, in recent time this course is available to everyone and those who want to understand the bureaucratic mechanism, administration framework of public sector, etc, can study this subject. The course of MPA is divided into core courses, analytical and professional development, specialization courses and thesis or dissertation for facilitating the teaching learning activities and making it more creative and productive. Students have option to choose any one of them as development Management,Human Resource Management,Local Governance and Development, Civil Society Governance,Public Policy, etc.
List of colleges:
Some of the colleges offering MPA in TU are as follows:
- Public Administration Campus, Jamal, Kathmandu
- Mahendra Morang Adarsha Multiple Campus,Biratnagar
The cost of studying MPA in TU can be known from the respective colleges.
The main objectives of MPA program are as follows:
- To provide students the genuine knowledge of how things run in administrative areas in the public and private sector.
- To develop students into efficient administrators, managers, policy makers, etc having capability to rise and shine not only nationally but internationally.
- To provide students the knowledge of research and its importance in the policy formulation henceforth help in the uplift of the country.
- To develop passion and interest in student’s to continue further study and professional development in the field of public administration.
The candidates, who have completed Bachelor's degree in any discipline from Tribhuvan University or from any other Universities recognized by TU are eligible for applying MPA program.
- Candidates must appear in the entrance test examination conducted by the Faculty of Management (FOM) prior getting admission.
- Questions in entrance are asked from: Verbal ability, quantitative ability, logical reasoning, administrative and general awareness, and short essay.
- FOM issues a score-sheet to each student appearing in the Entrance Test.
- Merit list is published and students are enrolled as per the merit list.
Course of Study
- Fundamentals of Public Administration
- Research Methods in Public Administration
- Development Administration
- Public Personnel Administration and Organization Behavior
- Public Financial Administration
- Administrative Law
- Public Policy Analysis
- Public Enterprise Management and Social Responsibility
- International Administration
- Contemporary Issues in Public Affairs Management
Scope and Career Prospects
The Public administration is very important in the country like Nepal where performance of bureaucracy is below par. Nepal lacks the efficient and honest public administrator as a result country fares very poor in socio-economic indicator. The students having good knowledge and expertise in public administration is needed to show the general tendency of public sector to the people and make the office bearers accountable. As MPA graduates, students have high chance of performing better in the public service exam. Moreover, graduates can work as the managers and administrators in both public and private sectors. They can also work as analyst, advisor, policy maker, supervisor, etc in various governmental and nongovernmental organizations. They can also work as the researcher researching in various issues related to public and private sector. MPA degree is also helpful for the students willing to go abroad. Moreover, graduates can also choose academic line after the study.
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.