M.Sc. Chemistry (Tribhuvan University)
Master of Science in Chemistry (M.Sc. Chemistry) is a two year, four semester program of Tribhuvan University having 60 credit hours. During the first two semesters, all the student have to study one general stream but in the third semester the area of specialization is chosen. In third semester, out of three stream physical chemistry, organic chemistry and inorganic chemistry, students choose one of them. Moreover, in the third semester among many elective subjects like Spectroscopy, Nuclear Chemistry, Natural Product Chemistry, Biochemistry, Food Chemistry etc, students need to choose and study any one of those.
M. Sc. chemistry like M.Sc. Physics has very important role in the development of modern science and technology. Study of matter its atom, molecule, compounds, bonds, chemical reaction is the subject matter of a chemistry. From development of medicines to chemicals, from nuclear plant to thermal plant, from earth to atmosphere, from oxygen we breathe to byproduct carbon dioxide, there are no aspects which chemistry does not deal. Chemistry works as the bridge between different subjects of natural science.
List of colleges:
- Tri-Chandra Multiple Campus, Ratna Park Kathmandu
- Central department of chemistry, Tribhuvan university, Kirtipur
- Birendra Multiple Campus, Bharatpur, Chitwan
- Mahendra Morang Adarsha Multiple Campus, Biratnagar, Morang
- Amrit Science Campus, Thamel, Kathmandu
- To impart the knowledge of Chemistry at advanced level to the students and make them capable and confident of accepting any challenges in the field of Chemistry.
- To provide student the taste of research in chemistry and train them so that they can find the career in the field of research and also familiarize students with the latest trends and advancement of chemistry.
- To make students realize the power of chemistry and use the knowledge and skills of chemistry in a way that are beneficial to environment and society as a whole.
- Generate passion in students for engaging in lifelong learning or professional development in the field of chemistry by considering the basic ethics and moral.
- The candidates willing to pursue M.Sc. degree in Chemistry should have passed B. Sc in Chemistry or equivalent level from Tribhuvan University or universities recognized by TU with same major subject.
- Students should fulfill all the necessary requirements needed for appearing in M.Sc. entrance exam.
- Students must compulsorily attend and pass the entrance exam conducted by Central Department of chemistry, TU.
- Passed student's merit list is published.
- Merit list is calculated by adding 80% of entrance and 20% of B. Sc.
- One can fill up form from any campus running M.Sc. Chemistry and can appear in exam. If he gets good rank than he can choose any colleges throughout Nepal and if he has lesser rank than the aspirants have to get admission in the colleges that has not been occupied by fellow aspirants.
- In Central department and constituent colleges 80% seat is open competition and 20% is inclusive.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
By majoring Chemistry, students have wide range of opportunities in gaining knowledge about the several issues which are very important in today's world. Graduates can find very meaningful and exciting jobs. Graduates can work in many fields such as industry, research, government organizations and teaching. M. Sc. Graduates can also work at universities, research institutes, laboratory, etc. They can work as product managers, laboratory managers, colleges and high school teacher etc. Moreover, the demand of chemistry graduates is also high in hospitals and pharmacy. Not only this, various firms working in the field of chemicals and fertilizer hire consultant where the chemist can work.
M.Sc. in chemistry gives solid foundation for those who are willing to get enrolled in PhD and other higher research oriented program. The demand of M.Sc. graduates is very high in developed countries where graduates have opportunity to work and earn decent salary.
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.