Masters in Psychology (Tribhuvan University)
MA psychology which is called as Master of Arts in Psychology is a two year, 4 semester program of TU. It consists of 60 credit hours. The need of psychology is felt in every aspects of life so it has become reputed and essential domain of human life. Although this field is very young in scientific domain but it has been divided into more than 100 sub disciplines. The use of psychology is very extensive and it is relevant in nursing, medical, management, engineering etc. Psychology is under faculty of humanities and social science which look at the various features of human behavior and human psyche in scientific parameter. The need and relevance of studying psychology is increasing every day because of growing anxiety, stress, troubles, mismatch relation, financial difficulties, crimes etc. The Central department of Psychology runs semester program where as other colleges run yearly program.
List of colleges:
The lists of colleges offering M.A psychology are as follows:
- Central Department of Psychology (Semester system), Kirtipur, Kathmandu
- Padma Kanya Campus, Bagbhazar, Kathmandu (Yearly)
- Tri Chandra Campus, Ghantaghar, Kathmandu (Yearly)
One should contact respective college administration. The fee structure is not available in the college website.
The main objectives of MA Psychology are as follows:
- The course intends to develop the successful psychologist having the extensive knowledge, skills and techniques in the use of psychology tools.
- The course intends to develop professional psychologist who are extremely needed in organization working in human counseling and other essential institutions working for helping people.
- The course intends to develop psychologist who can contribute significantly in dealing with the issues of person, groups, society and country.
- The course intends to develop psychologist who can correlate theoretical knowledge into the field work and develop the ability to deal with different psychological issues and problems and find the genuine solutions.
Eligibility for Admission:
Humanities and Social Sciences:
- Bachelors in Arts (BA) with psychology major
- Post graduate diploma in counseling psychology (PGDCP)
- Bachelors in Film Studies (BFS)
- Bachelors in Social Work (BSW), the student must have studied at least 3 credit hours or 100 marks course in general psychology
Science: B.Sc. and equivalent
- Bachelors in Business Administration (BBA),
- Bachelors in Business Administration – Banking and Insurance (BBA-BI),
- Bachelors in Business Administration - Travel and Tourism (BBA-TT),
- Bachelors in Conflict, Peace and Development (BCPD),
- Bachelors in Information Management (BIM),
- Bachelors in Business Information System (BBIS),
- Bachelors in Hotel Management (BHM),
- Bachelors in Health Care Management (BHCM),
- The students must have minimum of second division from TU or university recognized by TU in Bachelor level.
Note: Must have studied at least 3 credits hours or 100 marks of course in General Psychology,( core psychology)
- Entrance Examination Applicants must appear a written examination of 1 hour. The entrance examination will consist of 100 marks where 50 marks is added from the objective questions and 50 marks is added from students' previous academic records (+2 and Bachelors).
- Students will be selected on the basis of merit.
- Students from psychology major will be given 50% of the total seats and rest of seats for other students of other faculty.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
The psychology is very dynamic and promising field. Its demand and importance is increasing every single day. The subject is directly related to human beings so this field can never be estimated. The psychologist is needed from big industries to hospitals, nursing home to caring house. The field of psychology under research psychology is Abnormal psychology, Biological psychology, Cognitive psychology, Comparative psychology, Developmental psychology, Personality psychology, Quantitative psychology, Social psychology, etc. Again, the field of applied psychology is Clinical psychology, Counseling psychology, Educational psychology, law Psychology , Health psychology, Human issues psychology, Industrial or managerial psychology, School psychology, etc. These are the different areas where a psychologist can work and earn. Apart from this a psychologist can teach in different colleges and universities and options of going to foreign county are also open.