M.Sc. Clinical Microbiology (Tribhuvan University)
Unlike M.Sc. Microbiology, M.Sc. in clinical microbiology is a 3 year program under IOM (Institute of Medicine). The main executive body for running day to day administration and academic calendar is not Central department of Microbiology but it is Maharajgunj Medical Campus (IOM). M.Sc. Microbiology is a two year program under semester system but M.Sc. in Clinical Microbiology is a three year program whose exam is conducted under annual system.
This degree is attractive to those who have completed their bachelor level training in medical education and wish to continueformal qualification in Clinical Microbiology. The course in clinical microbiology is designed for facilitating new entrants into this field and also for update and extension for those already in it. The course aims to provide students theoretical, laboratory, and clinically applied aspects of the discipline and associated subjects like molecular biology.
List of college:
The colleges offering M.Sc. in Clinical Microbiology are:
- Maharajgunj Medical Campus, Maharajgujn, Kathmandu
- Chitwan Medical College (CMC), Chitwan, Bharatpur
- Universal College of Medical Sciences and Teaching Hospital, Rupandehi, Bairahawa
The main objectives of M.Sc. in clinical microbiology are:
- To provide student the maximum hands on experience is all aspects of clinical microbiology and make them well acquainted the latest development in clinical microbiology.
- To help develop the service and research careers of clinicians and other professionals interested in working in the field of microbiology.
- To produce graduates who have capacity to efficiently manage and lead aptly equipped and staffed clinical microbiology laboratories.
- To produce outstanding graduates who can critique and evaluate various national level disease control program and/ or other programs that has strategic importance in fighting with disease.
- The students must have successfully passed B Sc. MLT/BMLT or B.Sc. Microbiology or B.V.Sc. and AH or MBBS/BDS/BAMS or equivalent degree from TU or university recognized by TU with one year compulsory rotatary internship and the candidates should have registered in Nepal Medical Council or Nepal Ayurved Council.
- Students must fulfill the entire requirement as stated by examination control division, IOM.
Selection for admission:
All Nepalese/Foreign students must appear in same entrance examination.
- The questions will be objective multiple choice.
- After exam the separate merit list for Nepalese/Foreign students will be published.
- Students must secure a minimum of 50% marks in entrance examinations.
- Admission will be based on merit and there will be open house counseling wherever it is required.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
Today’s world is full of germs and bacteria’s. The pollution and disease are alarmingly on rise. In this scenario, the demand of clinical microbiologist is always increasing. The graduates can get jobs in healthcare organizations and environmental organizations. The graduates can get jobs in the food and drink industry, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology companies, etc. These graduates can work in pathology and diagnostic labs. It is very fruitful to develop career in research as clinical scientist by studying PhD or Del. The clinical microbiology graduates employment areas are:
- Private hospitals
- Research organization
- Food and Beverage Industry
- Chemical industries
- Environmental Areas
- Agriculture Department
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.