B.A. Economics (Tribhuvan University)
BA economics is a three year program of TU, taught under annual system. Economics is one of the most demanding courses in BA. In BA economics the students will study how does markets work to decide what to produce, how to produce and to whom to produce and how income is distributed. In BA economics, the students will be taught about concepts related to inflation, poverty and may more burning issues in the world. In the first year Micro economics is taught, while in the second year macroeconomics and mathematical economics is taught. In the third year development economics and public finance is taught. Each subject is of 100 marks. BA economics is under the faculty of humanities and social science. In some countries, this subject is taught under science stream.
List of colleges:
Some of the colleges offering BA in economics are as follows:
- Ratna Rajya Campus, Pradarshani Marga, Kathmandu
- Tri-Chandra Multiple Campus, Ghantaghar, Kathmandu
- Prithvi Narayan Multiple Campus, Pokhara, Kaski
- Mahendra Morang Campus, Biratnagar
- Padmakanya Campus, Baghazar, Kathmandu
- Madan Bhandari Memorial College, Kathmandu
- Patan Multiple Campus, Patan Dhoka, Lalitpur
The fee for studying BA economics in constituent campus is in between NRs. 6, 000 to NRs. 10, 000 per year. The course is a little costlier in private colleges.
The main objectives of BA economics are as follows:
- To provide students the knowledge of theories of economics that is concerned with the allocation and distribution of scarce resources in the perfect and imperfect market and also help students understand the knowledge of growth, budget, employment and other different macro and micro economic aspects.
- To provide the knowledge and wisdom to future graduates who are supposed thinkers, analyst, researchers and policy makers of this country to uphold the values that helps to make this country economically prosperous.
- To help student understand and apply the public and private sector, participate in the economic system as buyer, seller, agents, employee, employer or entrepreneur.
- To make students capable of conducting general and applied research in economics and develop passion in pursuing further study in the field of economics.
Eligibility and admission requirement:
- +2 or equivalent degree from TU or University/ board/ institution recognized by TU from any stream.
- Students can directly read economics in BA irrespective of his proficiency level background.
- No entrance exam is required.
- Generally, no minimum marks requirement is there but some private colleges may ask for second division in intermediate level.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
The economics is one of the leading fields in the social science. Economics is related to our day to day life. The country cannot function without the money and the economics deals with money. Economics has the tremendous job prospects not only in the country but in the whole world. BA Economics is very valued and respected degree in the whole world. As an economist you can work in different reputed institutions like ADB, World Bank, IMF, etc. BA graduates can get job in banks, insurance company, colleges, schools, universities, research institutes, consultancy, media house, large factories and corporate house, etc. After BA economics, one can choose to work in NGO and INGO's with decent salary or can work as freelancer. The government jobs and job at Nepal Rastra Bank is always open for students of economics. One can get good career opportunities at developed countries after reading economics. Economics is evergreen subjects with huge career potential. You can be a celebrity if you can do command in economics.
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.