Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication (Tribhuvan University)
Bachelor of Arts in Mass communication and Journalism is a three year program of Tribhuvan University under the faculty of humanities and social science. This course is taught in annual exam based system. The aim of this course is to enable student understand and realize the importance and power of journalism and mass communication. Through this course, students will be able to use the theories and principles of journalism and mass communication in practical fields. The course pattern is same as that of other courses in BA. Each paper of mass communication and journalism is of 100 marks, where 70 marks is theory and 30 marks are practical. In third year, there are two optional subjects and students should choose any one of them. In overall, the students will have an insight in subjects like media research, history, law and management of mass media, radio/ TV journalism, etc.
List of colleges:
The list of colleges offering BA Mass Communication and Journalism in TU are as follows:
- Times International College, Dillibazar, Kathmandu
- SV Academy Multiple College, Buddanagar, Kathmandu
- Orbit International College, Amritnagar, Kathmandu
- Canvas International College, Basundhara, Kathmandu
- National Integrated College, Gurju Marga, Kathmandu
- Martyr Ramnath Multiple (MRM) Campus, Vanasthali, Kathmandu
- United College, Kumaripati, lalitpur
- Sagarmatha College for Higher Studies, Dillibazaar, Kathmandu
The fee structure of studying BA mass communication and journalism can be known from the college concerned. The fee structure is not available in the website of colleges.
The objectives of the course are as follows:
- The course aims to endow students the theoretical and practical outlook regarding the fundamental principles of Mass Communication and Journalism and equip them with basic idea in the field of journalism and media.
- The course aims to provide students basic skills needed for writing, editing and designing newspaper, writing bulletins and news articles, news anchoring, running appealing television program, printing and web advertisement, blogs, posts, tweets, you tube videos, etc.
- The course aims to provide students the knowledge in research and various statistical tools needed for research in the field of mass communication and journalism.
- The course aims to provide students the capability to analyze and understand the problems faced by people in the locality and use the knowledge of their study to solve the problem.
The students willing to pursue BA mass communication and journalism in TU must have completed plus two or proficiency level from TU or Board/ Institutions/ University recognized by TU from any stream.
There is no provision for entrance. Humanities and social science faculty do not take any entrance exam. But, the concerned colleges may take the entrance exam for their respective evaluation.
Course of Study
- Reading and Writing for College
- Interdisciplinary Approach to Learning English
- Nepali I
- Theories of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Logic, Evidence and Research
- Academic Writing
- Nepali II
- Computer Information System
- Introduction to Sociology and Anthropology
- National and International Insitutions
- Reporting and Writing I
- Reading, Writing and Critical Thinking
- Media Research
- Media Law
- Theoritical Perpective in Sociology and Anthropology
- Reporting and Writing II
- Interactive Approach to Academic Reading
- Contemporary Social Issues
- Society and Culture in Nepal
- History and Ethics of Journalism and Mass Media
- Reporting and Writing III
- Photography and Advanced Journalism
- Research Methods in Sociology and Anthropology
- Reporting and Writing IV
- Senior Overview: Thesis
- Philosophy of Religion
- Public Relations, Advertising and Media Issues
- Perspectives and Development
- Reporting and Writing V
Scope and Career Prospects
The undergraduates in the field of mass and communication have very fascinating career prospects. Everyone is well aware about the fact that mass media and journalism has significant role in safeguarding the rights of people and core of democracy. The undergraduates in the field of mass communication and journalism have several working options. The undergraduates can work as news anchor, writer, editor, supervisor, report, adviser, etc. The students can pursue career as news analyst, advertising manager, media house manager, television personality, freelancer, news broadcaster, etc. Creative TV program or radio news can bring change in the society and make presenter the overnight celebrity. This is the power of mass media and journalism. Moreover, the undergraduates have options to continue their study in the country or abroad. The demand of mass communication and journalism graduates is also very high in developed countries.