Bachelor of Information Management (Tribhuvan University)
Bachelor of Information Management (BIM) is a four year course spreading over 8 semesters. This course of Tribhuvan University is designed in such a way that it is the integration of IT and Management. Information management is the study of use of information and communication system in business administration and decision making. The use and relevancy of Information Management is increasing every single day. Information Management is basically the mixture of Economics, Computer Science and Management which uses various tools, techniques, methodologies and theories to evaluate, analyze and process the information system. It consists of 126 credit hours.
List of colleges offering BIM
- St. Xavier's College
- Nagarjuna International College
- Thames International College
- National College of Computer Studies
- Prime College
- College of Applied Business
- Kantipur College of Management and Information Technology.
- Hetauda School of Management & Social Sciences
- Institute of Management Studies(IMS)
- Orchid International College
- KIST College etc
- To prepare IT professionals efficient in the use of computers and computational techniques, develop helpful information systems and solve real life problems in the organizations.
- To enhance the skills of student in understanding the latest tendency of software development and database management system and develop ability to manage the information of different organizations.
- Imparting professional training by integrating IT and management skills.
- Help prepare foundation for post graduate level study in and outside the country.
Eligibility for admission:
The candidates who are applying for admission to the BIM program should abide by following procedure:
- Students are required to have completed +2/ equivalent level from any university or board that is recognized by Tribhuvan University.
- Students willing to pursue BIM should at least secure second division at the +2/ or equivalent level. However, it is seen that colleges prefer to enroll students who have passed in first division.
- Students are required to follow all the application procedure and guidelines that should be fulfilled while sitting for entrance examination.
Students should pass through different phases of test before getting admitted to BIM:
The eligible candidates should appear in CMAT entrance test (Central Management Aptitude Test) conducted by Faculty of Management like that of BBA. The test follows the standards of international testing system. Questions are asked in the four sections:
- Verbal skill Testing
- Quantitative technique analysis
- Logical examining
- General knowledge and awareness testing
There are 100 objective questions, 25 questions in each four sections and students must secure at least 40% marks to pass the exam and get qualified for interview.
Students who have got the minimum 40% marks will be called for interview and out of them students will be selected for admission as per merit list.
In order to get admitted in the reputed colleges offering BIM program, students need to have comprehensive study of entrance preparation course. Various institutions specialized in entrance preparation run different shifts classes to make students well acquainted with the entrance test. Beside this, these institutes also take mock test that can be beneficial for students to build up confidence. They also teach students techniques to face interview so that students can be pre accustomed to that environment. This also helps student to get rid of nervousness and pressure. Not only this, students can have access to bundles of questions in the internet on different websites. However, joining institutes for preparation is not compulsory, the students can sit at home, buy entrance preparation book and can prepare themselves.
Course of Study
- English Composition
- Computers Information System (CIS)
- Digital Logic Design
- Principles of Management
- Basic Mathematics
- Structured Programming
- Data Communication and Computer Network
- Business Communications
- Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications
- Sociology for Business
- Financial Accounting
- Web Technology – I
- Java Programming – I
- Computer Organization
- Business Statistics
- Cost and Management Accounting
- Data Structure and Algorithm with Java
- Web Technology – II
- Database Management System
- Computer Graphics
- Java Programming – II
- Advanced Internet Working
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Business Finance
- Software Engineering
- Computer Security and Cyber Law
- Summer Project
- Human Resource Management
- Business Environment in Nepal
- Management Information System
- Object Oriented Analysis and Design
- Artificial Intelligence
- Organizational Behavior
- Operations Management
- Business Strategy
- IT Entrepreneurship and Supply Chain Management
- Economics of Information and Communication
- System Administration - Win NT (Elective)
- Graphics User Interface Programming Using C++ (Elective)
- Computer Based Financial Engineering (Elective)
- Electronic Reporting and Auditing (Elective)
- Object Oriented Database Management (Elective)
- Software Project Management (Elective)
- Operating Systems (Elective)
- Data Mining and Data Warehousing (Elective)
- Client Server Computing(Elective)
Scope and Career Prospects
BIM has very promising scope in today’s information hungry world. The BIM graduates has crucial role in MIS function of the organization. After the completion of BIM, the graduates will have access to various employment opportunities. BIM graduates can get jobs in almost every field. Database management, program analysts, network analysis and management, system designers, trainers etc are the wide range of jobs that BIM graduates will be rewarded with. Not only this, BIM graduates can also vie for governmental and nongovernmental jobs. Moreover, BIM graduates who opt to choose for continuous higher studies can easily take off as the course creates solid foundation for further studies. And, lastly the door of international study is always open with BIM.