M.A. Sociology and Anthropology (Tribhuvan University)
Human Beings have continuously evolved from the unsystematic and aloof life of jungles to disciplined life of society. Society has very vital role to play in life of every human beings and it is very important to understand and study the various component of the society. Sociology and anthropology is the subject that deals with study of origin, evolution, development, structure, formation, functioning and interrelationship of societies. It also encompasses the human being's way of life in past and present society.
MA Sociology and Anthropology is a two year, four semester program of Tribhuvan University managed by faculty of Humanities and Social Science. This program like other programs of humanities is conducted as a semester system in TU and as a yearly exam system in other constituent and affiliated colleges. MA Sociology and Anthropology is one of the leading branches of humanities in terms of the student enrollment.
List of colleges:
There are many colleges that offer MA sociology and Anthropology. Some of the colleges offering MA sociology and anthropology are given below:
- Trichandra Multiple Campus, Ghantaghar, Kathmandu
- Padma Kanya Campus, Bagbazar, Kathmandu
- Prithvi Narayan Multiple Campus, Bagar, Pokhara, Kaski
- Campion College, Kupondole, Lalitpur
- Bhairahawa Multiple Campus, Bhairahawa, Rupandehi
- Saraswoti Multiple Campus, Lekhnath Marg, Kathmandu
- Mahendra Multiple Campus, Baglung
- Dillibazar Kanya Multiple Campus, Dillibazar, Kathmandu
- Central Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Kirtipur, Kathmandu
- Birendranagar Multiple Campus, Chakrapani path, Surkhet
In semester, the fee structure of MA sociology comes in between Rs. 40,000- Rs. 50,000. In yearly, the fee is lesser than that of semester. For detail fee structure, one should contact the college administration.
The objectives of MA Sociology and Anthropology in TU are as follows:
- To exhibit knowledge and ideas necessary for understanding the society and culture from the perspectives of sociologist and anthropologist on international level.
- To exhibit the knowledge in identifying and critically evaluating the social and historical forces and institution that has influenced the life of human beings.
- To use the analytical and research knowledge of sociology and anthropology to solve social differences and issues and work as the agent of creative social change.
- To impart necessary skills in students so that they have sufficient qualification to get easy access to varieties of employment opportunities in the field of social science.
- He/ She should pass BA in Sociology and Anthropology from TU or equivalent degree from university recognized by TU.
- Student from any other stream can also join MA Sociology and Anthropology if he has bachelor degree.
In order to get admission in Central Department of MA sociology and anthropology, student should appear in entrance exam.
- Entrance exam is of objective types.
- The merit list is published after the exam.
- In yearly system, there is no entrance exam.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
MA sociology and Anthropology has very good career prospects and it will blossom and expand in the days to come. Human society is very complex, so sociologist are always in demand to formulate policies and plan that can be applicable in society for solving problem.
There is large number of NGO/ INGO's working in the field of sociology where students can get jobs in different positions. One can also work as researcher, teacher, lecturer, supervisor, social analyst, journalist, etc. after the graduation. Not only this, there are fields like writing, editing, reporting, etc where graduates can choose to work. Similarly, students can also sit for civil service exam and other government job exams and there is high chance of performing better. Graduates can get job in public and private sector. Graduates also have very huge opportunities in the advance countries where they can work and earn and have a decent life.
© 2015. All Rights Reserved. Colleges Nepal.