Master of Hospitality Management (Tribhuvan University)
Master of Hospitality Management (MHM) is a course offered by Tribhuvan University with main purpose of transforming graduates into skilled and higher-ranking managers to function in diverse areas of hospitality management. MHM is a two year program divided over four semesters. Students are required to study a total of 60 credit hours to complete this program. This program is designed to produce graduates with skills and aptitudes to manage the highly competitive and swiftly growing areas of hospitality management. This program is under Faculty of Management.
The curriculum includes Compulsory and Core Courses; Focus Area Courses; Elective Courses; Industrial Attachment; and Thesis. The students have to go through the same course content till third semester. But in the fourth semester there are three electives: Rural Tourism Management, Event Management and Property Management in Tourism and Hospitality Industry and students have to choose any one of them. Each subject is of 3 credit hours except thesis which is of 6 credit hours.
The fee structure of Master of Hospitality Management can be found on administration of Nepal Academy of Tourism & Hotel Management (NATHM), Rabi Bhawan, Kalimati, Kathmandu.
The main objectives of the program are as follows:
- To provide a sound knowledge of hospitality industry and management.
- To train students to act in multicultural and global context of hospitality industry.
- To prepare students in theoretical, practical and technical perspective of tourism and hospitality management.
- To boost the knowledge of students through problem solving, teamwork, decision making, and leadership.
- To familiarized students with hospitality management through internship and other practical program.
- To apply for Master of Hospitality Management, candidates must have completed bachelor degree in any discipline (BHM / BTTM) from Tribhuvan University or any Universities accepted by the T.U with score of minimum Second Division or CGPA of 2.0
- Students having bachelor degree from any stream with two years of working experience in hospitality sector or teaching experience of Travel, Tourism and Hospitality subjects at Bachelor level for 2 years.
- Must have read English as a full paper in Bachelor or equivalent level.
- Must fulfill all the application procedure.
- Candidates eligible for MHM must appear for entrance test known as Central Management Admission Test (CMAT) held by FOM (Faculty of Management). The test will be based on international testing pattern. It includes:
- Verbal Ability
- Quantitative Ability
- Logical Reasoning
- General Awareness
Course of Study
- Fundamentals of Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Managerial Economics in Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Strategic Management for Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Organizational Behavior in Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Entrepreneurship in Tourism and Hospitality Industry
- Statistics for Tourism and Hospitality
- Financial Management in Tourism and Hospitality
- Accommodation Operation Management
- Food and Beverage Management
- Travel and Tourism Management
- Research Methodology
- Human Resource Management
- Marketing in Tourism and Hospitality
- Environmental Management in Tourism and Hospitality
- Managerial Accounting for Hospitality
- Quality Management in Tourism and Hospitality
- Planning and Policy Analysis in Tourism and Hospitality
- E-Commerce in Tourism and Hospitality
- Rural Tourism Management (Elective)
- Event Management (Elective)
- Property Management in Tourism and Hospitality Industry (Elective)
Scope and Career Prospects
Hospitality management is related to service industry and the job horizon of graduates pursuing this field is continuously upward sloping. This is very lucrative industry which brings more placement and money. After the completion of MHM, graduates will haves various sector for job placement. You can open your own restaurants / hotel, work as a general manager, and an event planner. Graduates can work as:
- Lodging Manager
- Restaurant Manager
- Travel Agent
- Event Planner
- Facilities Manager
- Hotel Manager
Apart from this, the students can also work as lecturers, teachers, researcher, etc after the graduation. Moreover, the hospitality management degree exposes you internationally and you can have very fascinating career prospects in some of the most developed countries of the world.