Master of Business Studies (Tribhuvan University)
Master of Business Studies (MBS) is a two year program of Faculty of Management, Tribhuvan University. This is one of the most sought degrees in Nepal and every year large number of students gets enrolled in this program. The Faculty of Management had decided to run this program in a semester system throughout the country from 2072 B.S. but due to various technical reasons it failed to do so. Every department is conducting classes in central department in semester system so MBS program will also be conducted in semester system in central campus. In the context of rest of the college, classes will be conducted in yearly system.
The courses structure of the MBS has been divided into core courses, specialization and thesis writing for giving students comprehensive knowledge of the subject matter from different perspectives. Moreover, the course also aims to make students up to date with the modern practices and changes in the field of business studies. The course is designed in order to develop skills in students for being able to take higher level managerial position in private and public sectors.
List of colleges:
There are several colleges across Nepal offering MBS program. Some of the name of the colleges offering MBS program are as follows:
- Campion College, Kupondole, lalitpur
- St. Xavier's College, Maitighar, Kathmandu
- Balkumari College, Narayanghat, Chitwan
- Sagarmatha Multiple College, Dillibazar, Kathmandu
- Khwopa College, Dekocha, Bhaktapur
- Dillibazar Kanya Multiple Campus, Dillibazar, Kathmandu
- Kathmandu Model College, Balkumari, Kathmandu
- People's Campus, Pankajol, Kathmandu
- National Campus, Balkumari, lalitpur
- Public Youth Campus, Chettrapati, Kathmandu
- Janamaitri Multiple Campus, Kuleshwor, Kathmandu
- Prithvi Narayan Multiple Campus, Pokhara, Kaski
- Everest College, Thapathali, Kathmandu
- Shanker Dev Campus, Putalisadak, Kathmandu
- Damak Multiple Campus, Damak, Jhapa
- Hari Khetan Multiple Campus,Alakhyia, Birgunj
- United College, Kumaripati, lalitpur
- Golden Gate International College, Bhattatisputali, Kathmandu
- Nepal Commerce Campus, New Baneswor, kathmandu
- Patan Multiple Campus, Lalitpur
- Padma Kanya Multiple Campus, Bagbazar, Kathmandu
The cost of studying MBS in TU in yearly system in public campus comes around Rs.16, 000. For detail fee one should contact college administration.
The main objectives of this course are as follows:
- The course aims to provide solid foundation of conceptual and theoretical knowledge of the management and business, its functions and areas combined with technical knowledge and applications along with good communication skills.
- The course aims to impart students willing to enter in the business field, the necessary knowledge and ideas of business and business world.
- The course aims to develop the capacity in students to use business studies knowledge in practice and obtain analytical and visionary skills to make conversant decisions while dealing with wide range of management issues.
- The course aims to develop research skills in students and motivate students in the lifelong learning and professional development in the field of management and business studies.
- Students should have passed BBS from TU or any university recognized by TU is eligible for MBS program. OR
- Students from any stream who have passed Bachelor Degree from TU or University recognized by TU are eligible.
- Students joining MBS program in semester system should pass entrance exam.
- The Faculty of Management (FOM) conducts Central Management Admission Test (CMAT) for the MBS level entrance exam.
- The test carries full marks: 100 and time duration: 90 minutes
- Total question: 100
- Verbal Ability: 20 marks, Quantitative Technique: 20 marks Logically Answering: 20 marks, General Knowledge: 20 and Business and economics: 20 marks.
- Merit list is published after the entrance exam and admission is done as per the merit list published.
Course of Study
- Research Methodology and Statistical Methods
- Business Economics
- Organizational Behaviour and Human Resources Management
- Management Accounting
- Corporate Financial Management
- Marketing Management
- Production and Operation Management
- Business Policy and Environment
- Entrepreneurship Development
- Specialization Subject: (Accounting) Profit Planning and Control
- Specialization Subject: (Accounting) Advance Auditing
- Specialization Subject: (Accounting) Tax Law and Tax Planning
- Specialization Subject: (Accounting) Accounting Theory
- Specialization Courses(General Management) Small Business Management
- Specialization Subject (General Management)International Business
- Specialization Subject (General Management) Organizational Development
- Specialization Subject (General Management) Labour Relations
- Specialization Subject: (Finance) Foundations of Financial Theory
- Specialization Subject: (Finance) Capital Structure Management
- Specialization Subject: (Finance) Investments
- Specialization Subject: (Finance) Financial Institutions and Markets
- Specialization Subject: (Finance) Multinational Corporate Finance
- Specialization Subject:(Marketing) Service Marketing
- Specialization Subject:(Marketing) Consumer Behaviour
- Specialization Subject:(Marketing) Marketing Research
- Specialization Subject:(Marketing) International Marketing
- Thesis (Thesis writing within the specialization area).
- Project Work (Two Assignments within the specialization area)
Scope and Career Prospects
Good managers are treasure to every organization in this business oriented world. Business is one of the key aspects of human civilization. A good management and knowledge of business is required to run the any organization efficiently. At this scenario, MBS graduates having knowledge of business and management have very lucrative career prospects. In fact business is that filed which provides you name, fame, money and power. MBS graduates can work in various positions like business managers, administrator, accountant, financial officers, marketing officers, analyst etc in banks, small and big corporate houses, hospitals and hotels, factories and industries, schools and colleges, etc. Every year large numbers graduates are enrolled by these organizations as per their academic and professional qualifications. One can also get jobs as writer, teacher, academician, researcher, editor, journalist, etc concerned with business. One can also be university lecturers, government officers, business adviser, directors, etc after the graduation. This degree has good scope in the developed countries where graduates have dual opportunity to learn and earn.