M.Ed in Mathematics Education (Tribhuvan University)
The Master of education in mathematics education is a two year program. In central campus, the two year program is conducted over four semesters and in other campuses it is conducted as a yearly system conducting exam over the end of each academic year. The faculty of education under Tribhuvan University is accountable for running every day offices of M.Ed. program. The course content has been divided into core courses, specialization, elective, teaching practice and thesis for providing comprehensive knowledge about the subject matter to the students. The total courses consist of 66 credit hours. Beside fourth semester which is of 12 credit hours, all other semesters are of 18 credit hours. In yearly system, each year students have to read 500 marks.
The curriculum is planned with major objective of making student competent of being efficient teachers and trainers in the field of mathematics. Mathematics education is one of the key subjects of education faculty where large numbers of students get enrolled every year.
List of colleges:
Some of the colleges offering M.Ed. mathematics education are as follows:
- Prithvi Narayan Multiple Campus, Kaski, Pokhara
- Chaitanya Multiple Campus, Banepa, Kavre
- Central Department of Economics Education, Kirtipur, Kathmandu
The fee structure can be found at the website of concerned college or institution.
The main objectives of M.Ed. mathematics education are:
- To provide students the knowledge of mathematics education needed for being very efficient and competent middle and higher level mathematics teacher and trainer.
- To develop curiosity among students in investigating, teaching and learning of mathematics and to practically use them in classrooms for helping the students.
- To develop students having capability for research and professional practice in the field and use the knowledge of mathematics for solving various scientific problems.
- To help students in developing a broader knowledge of mathematics and understand inter- linkage across disciplines and apart from theoretical knowledge develop creativity, critical thinking and problem-solving skills an ideas.
The students willing to join M.Ed. economics education should have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education from TU or from university recognized by TU.
- Bachelor's Degree in Education (one-year, two-year and three-year B.Ed.) with major Mathematics from Tribhuvan University or a university accepted by T.U.
- Student has to pass entrance test for getting admission.
- Entrance exam is taken by Department of Mathematics Education.
- The merit list is then published after the entrance exam.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
There is rarely any field where there is no use of mathematics. Students from every faculty needs to have a knowledge of mathematics to some extent without which it becomes very difficult for students to excel good in exam. M. Ed. Graduates can get job from primary levels to tertiary level. They can perform their work in schools, colleges and universities. From commerce colleges to science colleges, everywhere there is need of math graduates. Not only this, there are various government vacancies, where graduates can vie and they have very good chance of doing good as they have strong background of mathematics. If we see the statistics, in SLC, most of the students fail in mathematics, so country needs large number of efficient math teachers who can make student succeed in mathematics. There is large number of NGO/ INGO’s working in the field of education, graduates can work as a teacher in the areas where these organizations are providing their services. Mathematics fall as subject having one of the highest potential in developed countries. Students can get good jobs there in different colleges and universities. Efficient researcher which is very rare in mathematics is highly regarded everywhere throughout the world.