M.Sc. Geology (Tribhuvan University)
Every one of us is very curious in knowing facts, figures and components of earth, how it is made and what it is made of? The science of geology is basically concerned with study of the materials that the earth is made of, its structure, process that was activated in it, animals that inhibited it. It also studies the change the earth has gone in millions of years.
Master in Science in Geology is a two year, 4 semester program of Tribhuvan University. The M.Sc. in geology offers both theoretical and laboratory based teaching along with extensive fieldwork techniques to build capacity of graduates so that they are able to work in various fields, such as in tunnels, roads, bridges, dams, etc. Department of geology was established in 1968 in Trichandra college for B.Sc. program and the Master’s in geology was established in 1986 at Central Campus, Kirtipur.
List of colleges:
The M.Sc. Geology program in TU is available only in Central Department of Geology.
The fee structure can be known during the time of admission by the successful candidates. There are several categories of fee ranging from tuition to dissertation. For detail understanding one should visit the Central Department of Geology.
The objectives of course are:
- To help students gain the knowledge of fundamentals and emerging concepts in geology and retain the integrated concepts of various classes.
- To help students develop ability to evaluate the quality of data and use this for comparing competing theories or ideas, collect defensible data and analyze and interpret variety of data sets.
- To help students develop communication skills, technical skills and computing skills that is relevant in the field of geology.
- To help students develop the ability to work alone or in groups by abiding with the moral ethics and being aware of the responsibility of a geologists towards the society.
- Students willing to pursue M.Sc. in geology must have completed B.Sc. in Geology or equivalent level of degree from TU or University recognized by TU.
- Students must fulfill all the requirements as said in the M.Sc. entrance exam notice published by TU.
- The candidates will be selected for the admission on the basis of merit list which is prepared by adding the marks secured in the entrance test (80%) and the percentage of the marks secured in Bachelor Degree (20%).
- 80% questions are objective and 20% are subjective with short answer that should be solved within 2 hours.
- 80% seat is for open category and 20% seat is for inclusive category.
Course Curriculum for entrance exam:
- Physical Geology, Structural Geology, Crystallography and mineralogy (Multiple choice=20, short questions= 6 marks)
- Historical Geology, Petrology, Geology of Nepal and adjoining regions (Multiple choice=20, short questions=4 marks)
- Stratigraphy, Sedimentology, Paleontology, Economic Geology (Multiple choice=20, short questions=4 marks)
- Engineering Geology, Exploration Geology. Environmental Geology, Remote Sensing and GIS (Multiple choice=20, short questions=6 marks)
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
If somebody has an extreme desire to know about the earth related issues such as environmental protection, resource management, mineral and oil exploration than geology is the career choice you can make. Geologists can work in the fields like ground water management, geological survey, natural gas and natural resources, mineral exploration, zinc and copper related industries etc. The scope of geology is increasing because of growing environmental hazards caused by pollution and other associated issues. Geology unveils plethora of exciting and challenging job opportunities to the graduates. After acquiring more experience and knowledge one can:
- Apply for some of the top positions in government, research, education sector etc.
- Also work in the NGO/ INGO's working in the field of earth.
- Work as a journalist in various journals, TV's, magazines etc.
- Also work as a research specialist.
- Teach in colleges and universities in different positions.
Similarly, the M. Sc. graduates are also highly valued in advanced countries where they can work and study.