M.Sc. Hydrology and Meteorology (Tribhuvan University)
Master of Science in Hydrology and Meteorology is a two year, 4 semester program of Tribhuvan University. In the first and second semester, there are compulsory subjects where all the students need to study same course content. However, in third semester, out of five elective subjects: Water Resources, Environmental aspect of Hydro-meteorology, Agricultural Meteorology, Monsoon Meteorology, and Mountain Hydro-Meteorology, students have to choose any one of them. Fourth semester is tilted towards research where students get opportunity to integrate the theoretical course with real life experience. The study of hydrology and Meteorology in Nepal began at B. Sc level since 1973 and it was upgraded to Master level in 1988.
Hydrology is the science which deals with the study of earth water and its movement in relation to land where as meteorology is the study of atmosphere. The study of hydrology and meteorology has great importance to the country like Nepal. The knowledge of Meteorological and Hydrological processes is of very essential for agriculture and water resources management. In agriculture, weather forecasting is very crucial for having good production. Also, Meteorology and Hydrology is considered very important for the development of water resources projects and flood forecasting.
List of Colleges:
M.Sc. hydrology and Meteorology is studied in Central Department of Hydrology and Meteorology, Kirtipur, TU only.
For knowing the fee structure of studying M. Sc. in hydrology and Meteorology in TU, the aspirants should contact the Department.
Some of the objectives of M.Sc. in Hydrology and Meteorology are as follows:
- The graduates will be able to apply and integrate relevant principles and concepts of hydrology and meteorology and use communication and information technology within a hydrological and meteorological concept.
- The graduates will be able to master the hydrological and meteorological methodologies and application including techniques necessary for data collection, processing and analysis.
- The graduates will be able to evaluate and analyze hydrological and meteorological systems and processes at sufficient space and time framework and develop and conduct research or experiments with or without team.
- The students will be able to work in ethical and professional framework by understanding the inter linkage of hydrology and meteorology with other subjects and its importance to the society.
- Students interested in pursuing M.Sc. in Hydrology and Meteorology should have passed B.Sc. in same subject or equivalent level of degree from TU or university recognized by TU.
- Students should fulfill all the criteria as prescribed in the entrance exam notice of TU.
- Entrance exam is conducted by Central Department of Hydrology and Meteorology, Tribhuvan University.
- The students must compulsorily attend the entrance exam and pass at least with given minimum marks.
- The result is based on the merit list. The merit list is prepared by adding 80% marks of entrance exam and 20% marks of B. Sc.
- The 80% seats are for open category and 20% seats are reserved (inclusive) category.
Course of Study
Scope and Career Prospects
Nepal is very prone to flood and landslides and in the major cities there is extreme shortage of water and those cities also lacks the basic water management system. First sentence itself signifies how important this subject is in the context of Nepal. The work for the graduates includes monitoring of river hydrology, climate, agro meteorology, sediment, air quality, water quality, limnology, snow hydrology, glaciology, and wind and solar energy. The graduates can also work in the field of aviation and weather forecast. The graduates can also get jobs in various NGO/INGO working in the field of hydrology and meteorology. One can also work as research specialist, research associates in the concerned field. In The academic sector also, M. Sc graduates can find job as college and university teacher. Every day we hear the weather forecasting, this weather forecasting is very important for travelers, trekkers and general people. Scores of skilled manpower is needed for accurate and reliable forecasting. Not only this, weather forecasting has huge role in agriculture and industry. Thousands of lives can be saved if prediction related to typhoons, tsunami can be made accurately. The graduates in this field have wide range of job opportunities in international market. They can also go to foreign country for further study and earn handsome salary after finishing their study.