B.Sc. Nursing (Kathmandu University)
B.Sc in Nursing degree is designed to produce skilled nurses who are capable of working independently in multidisciplinary and dynamic health sectors. The program focuses on equipping students with the technical & managerial competence required to address the rapidly changing health need of people.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing offered by Kathmandu University is a four-year academic program that intends to produce middle-level nursing graduates, equipped with the theoretical concept and practical skills. In order to complete B.SC in Nursing successfully, students have to cover courses like Integrated Health Science, Applied Computer Technology, Nutrition, Fundamental of Nursing, Community Health Nursing, Parental Care, Natal Care, Postnatal Care, child Health Nursing, Professional Trend Issues and Behavioral Science among others.
Colleges affiliated with Kathmandu University offering Bachelor of Science in Nursing program:
There are eight colleges affiliated with Kathmandu University that offer Bachelor of Science in Nursing:
- College of Medical Science, located in Chitwan, Nepal
- School of Medical Science, located in KU, Dhulikhel
- Lumbini Medical College, located in Palpa
- Nepal Medical College, located in Jorpati
- Manipal College of Medical Sciences, located in Pokhara
- College of Medical Sciences, Bharatpur, located in Chitwan
- Kathmandu Medical College, located in Sinamangal, KTM
- College of Nursing, Scheer Memorial Hospital, located in Banepa, Kavre
Some of the objectives of this program are listed below:
- To enhance students' communication skills so that they can communicate efficiently with patients, health team members and colleagues.
- Enable graduates to deal with various health management issues.
- To deliver nursing academic programs that prepare health workers to practice in the rapidly changing health environment.
- This course helps to promote evidence-based practice in health promotion and disease prevention.
- To enhance students decision-making ability.
- To make students aware of their ethical and professional responsibilities.
- Conduct research activities for the betterment of nursing profession.
The candidates must have completed intermediate sciences or +2 with biology, chemistry. Physics, math and English as main subjects and should have secured a minimum of 50% of marks in aggregate. Applicants should be fit both physically and mentally.
- Applicant should face entrance exam and personal interview.
- Applicant should secure at least 40 marks in an entrance test conducted by the university.
- The candidate must be at least 17 years old.
- Attested copies of mark sheets and character certificate of SLC and 10+2 or PCL equivalent.
- Duly filled admission form.
Course of Study
- Integrated Health Science ( Theory and Practice )
- Community Health Nursing ( Theory and Practice )
- Fundamental of Nursing ( Theory and Practice )
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Applied Computer Technology (Theory and Practice)
- Prenatal Care ( Theory and Practice )
- Natal Care ( Theory and Practice )
- Postnatal Care ( Theory and Practice )
- Community Health Nursing II ( Theory and Practice )
- Chid Health Nursing II (Theory and Practice )
- Professional Trends and Issues
- Behavioral Science
- Medical & Surgical Nursing l ( Theory & Practice)
- Medical & Surgical Nursing ll ( Theory & Practice)
- Educational Science ( Theory & Practice)
- Mental Health Nursing ( Theory & Practice)
- Nursing Concepts/ Theories
- Leadership & Management (Theory & Practice)
- Research & Statistics (Theory & Practice)
- Health Economics
- Specialty Course (Theory & Practice)
Scope and Career Prospects
The National Health Service, private and public hospitals, healthcare providers, clinics, voluntary organizations, schools, universities, and armed forces are some of the prime recruiters of this degree holder. Individual with this degree can work as physician associate, paramedic, midwife, mental health nurse, high-intensity therapist, health visitor, children's nurse and adult nurse. In addition to this, they can pursue their career as counselor, health service manager, lecturer or social worker.